The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: THE PARROT IS GONE.

Day 1: Set-up

Day 2: Begin spreading moss (more moss en-route)

Java ferns tied to three pieces of drift wood. Drift wood arranged to look like one very neat piece instead of three somewhat ordinary pieces. One rock with java moss behind the wood (African Filter Shrimp has always loved this rock). Flame moss to grow around the bigger rocks in the back right corner. Java moss to grow from the gravel up and onto the drfit wood. Lots of Christmas moss on the way to carpet the remainder of the tank. I have several smooth stones from Michaels with which I am not sure how to proceed.

Expect more in the coming days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The tank looks awesome, though I would suggest smaller fish. The blood parrots get quite large - much too large for a 10 gallon - and have a tendency to destroy live plants, IME.

A school or two of small tetras/rasboras would look nice :smile:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank looks awesome, though I would suggest smaller fish. The blood parrots get quite large - much too large for a 10 gallon - and have a tendency to destroy live plants, IME.

A school or two of small tetras/rasboras would look nice :smile:

Agreed. The parrot (aptly named Polly) was a gift from our pet sitter, who knows nothing about fish keeping) while we were away. This was about a year ago. He has stayed roughly the same size, but he killed all of my cherry shrimp and my bumblebee shrimp (about 40), my 10 amano shrimp, my 2 Singapore wood shrimp, and all of my other fish sanz one tetra. I had to keep trimming the tank way down to give him room, and that's what eventually led to my rescaping it last week. I don't have the heart to give him up. I will wait until he dies to get any new fish besides the two very agile Oto's.

More pics to come after the new moss arrives.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed. The parrot (aptly named Polly) was a gift from our pet sitter, who knows nothing about fish keeping) while we were away. This was about a year ago. He has stayed roughly the same size, but he killed all of my cherry shrimp and my bumblebee shrimp (about 40), my 10 amano shrimp, my 2 Singapore wood shrimp, and all of my other fish sanz one tetra. I had to keep trimming the tank way down to give him room, and that's what eventually led to my rescaping it last week. I don't have the heart to give him up. I will wait until he dies to get any new fish besides the two very agile Oto's.

More pics to come after the new moss arrives.
Find the heart to get rid of him since life in a 10gal for a blood parrot must be pretty crappy. They are suppost to be 8-10inches in size and need a way bigger tank then what you have.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More moss tied down, etc.

I lost some slope near the rocks when I oved things around. I want to fix it, but I don't feel like it's worth the hassle of kicking stuff up again.

I also moved the wood around a bit.

I know, I know...Polly is too big for the tank.

More moss on the way to finish the carpet!

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I wouldn't say she is too small for the tank if you are giving her the care she needs. She looks happy, the tank looks great and there is a lot of places to hide. You will need to move her soon to a bigger tank, but she is okay for a while longer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taiwan Moss carpet has been installed, and somethings have been shifted a little.

Blooberry, our Australian Cattle Dog, helped to keep Sylvestor in the corner and off of the Gutter Guard/Moss.

Now the hard part...patience to let it all grow in and self-control to leave it all alone.

More pics to come.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't say she is too small for the tank if you are giving her the care she needs. She looks happy, the tank looks great and there is a lot of places to hide. You will need to move her soon to a bigger tank, but she is okay for a while longer.
Thanks for the reassurance. I was getting worried. She is very happy and active. She's been the same size since I got her. I'm not sure when she'll outgrow the tank.

She's also our son's favorite, so I'm loathe to part with her.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I started with a 10gallon tank, then got a 3 footer ;) so you could always keep Polly... She will grow when she gets a bigger tank (I havent had that type of fish but have found this with others). She looks happy and quite the camera hog.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started with a 10gallon tank, then got a 3 footer ;) so you could always keep Polly... She will grow when she gets a bigger tank (I havent had that type of fish but have found this with others). She looks happy and quite the camera hog.
I've found this with Clown Loaches as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Your tank looks amazing, and its a 10 g too! im impressed, im currently venturing on my first planted 20g. I love the idea of the sloped substrate, i filled mine up last night, and for the most part the substrate is flat, im soon going to add driftwood, rocks, etc. Im currently waiting for the water to clear up. but i might go ahead and put a nice slope to it while i can.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your tank looks amazing, and its a 10 g too! im impressed, im currently venturing on my first planted 20g. I love the idea of the sloped substrate, i filled mine up last night, and for the most part the substrate is flat, im soon going to add driftwood, rocks, etc. Im currently waiting for the water to clear up. but i might go ahead and put a nice slope to it while i can.
Thanks! There are some really great ideas in the aquascaping forum on sloping.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Cool moss carpet there! I don't know if you needed to start it that thick, but at least it will look filled in sooner... Its a jungle in there!

Your photography is getting pretty good... Sometimes it takes me ten or so shots to get one that turns out. I blame the reflectiveness of the glass. It makes flash look bad.

How are you liking your limnophila?

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Here is a good article on your fish. There are definite advantages for a bigger tank, it'll grow to its potential, live longer and be less prone to illnesses. That being said, your fish isn't so large that you have to run out and buy a new tank today. If you the funds and the space, I would say definitely go bigger. However, in the meantime, you are okay. Plus, you could always give him away when he gets bigger.

By the way, I like the setup of the java ferns.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool moss carpet there! I don't know if you needed to start it that thick, but at least it will look filled in sooner... Its a jungle in there!

Your photography is getting pretty good... Sometimes it takes me ten or so shots to get one that turns out. I blame the reflectiveness of the glass. It makes flash look bad.

How are you liking your limnophila?
Patience is a problem for me, so I wanted to start off thick. I'm still learning to use the macro camera setting, so your photography comment means a lot. :)

I wasn't sure how the limnophila was going to do because of my low lighting/DIY CO2, but it really is becoming a pretty plant. A few stems were given to me for free with some moss that I purchased under the assumption they may or may not thrive, but they are really shaping up.

(Shhh, don't tell the other plants in my tank, but the limnophila are my favorite.)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a good article on your fish. There are definite advantages for a bigger tank, it'll grow to its potential, live longer and be less prone to illnesses. That being said, your fish isn't so large that you have to run out and buy a new tank today. If you the funds and the space, I would say definitely go bigger. However, in the meantime, you are okay. Plus, you could always give him away when he gets bigger.

By the way, I like the setup of the java ferns.
Thanks for the article. I was iffy about the Java Fern setup, but it started to grow on me (no pun intended) after they were tied down, and I saw them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, I figure I will take pictures about every two weeks so that the growth can be better seen.

Since I last updated, most of the Taiwan Moss has turned brown. A lot fo the people with whom I spoke said that this is due to the change in water conditions, but it would certainly make a come-back sooner or later. If you look closely at some of these pictures you can see the green finally breaking through the brown. Some of the moss branches (leaves?) have come back completely green already. Oh patience...where are you?

Some of the leaves on my Java Ferns have also turned brown and suffered from shock from the inital move, but those plants are making a come-back as well...albeit slowly.

The Christmas Moss which is on to the drift wood is thriving, and the Flame Moss near the rocks is growing in nicely.

I upped my lighting to 40W dual daylight 6700K and 10000K last week, and most of my plants are pearling like crazy. I also didn't notice the green algae on the glass until I took these pictures earlier tonight. It has since been scraped.

Another picture update to come in 2 weeks. If anybody has any comments or suggestions RE: scaping or plant health or anything really (positive or negative), please fire away.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it Polly you are trying to find a home for? I was curious to see if you have any updates on the tank.
It was. Polly has moved on, and I have since added fish. I miss him and the way he would come up to the glass when I came into the room, but now he has room to grow and play. Thanks for all of the info.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.