The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be having a 10 gallon tank that will be available soon that I would like to start a flame moss based scape.

It already has a nice looking hood on it with two spots for incandescent lights. Keeping the cost low, I found some 20w mini compact like these http://www.aquariumguys.com/minicompact2.html .

I figure with 2 of these and some decent home made reflectors, I should be able to pull 2 wpg out of the total 40w?

I know there is ahsupply, but the 36w kit would not fit into my hood, and in keeping with how I like the look of the current hood, would rather not make a diy enclosure to replace it.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I haven't used it, but I've read about people that didn't like the pink color.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I use 20w 6700k screw in compact flourescent bulbs in several ten gallon hoods. I got them at wal-mart. With co2 and 40w you should be able to grow most plants.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a little confused about the 50/50 lights. I read in some posts that they only put out half of the listed wattage because of some acetinic light or something?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i had them in my 10g hood but i didnt like the pinkish light it gave off. i also had the 50/50 lights for a while and made the algae grow like crazy. i bought the petsmart brand(marineland i think) CF light, about $12 each, and they work great. i think they're 5900k. my dwarf sage and ludwigia repens have grown like crazy in the last month with these lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts