The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally started my 10 gallon planted aquarium about a month ago. I'm kinda new at this so it won't have anything special nor anything high tech. For the substrate, I used fluorite and I upgraded the light into a 8000k.

I really like mosses so it's pretty much going to be the highlight of my tank.. hehe.. here it is...

I had no idea fluorite was going to be like this when I added the water.

After it settled down, I placed my starting plants and fish (only guppies).

I put some Fissidens fontanus on the driftwood on the right.

And Singapore Moss on the rope there on the left. I was going to tie the moss into the rope but they were too small so I put a mesh I got from an inion bag over the rope.

And lastly, I have some [strike]Weeping moss[/strike] Taiwan moss on a slate of rock.

A week after i started my tank

Singapore moss growing nicely. Sadly the Fissidens fontanus isn't growing as well. I think it's slowly dying =(

Latest addition is more [strike]Weeping moss[/strike] Taiwan moss on driftwood.

I will update this and show the tank in its current state as soon as I get a chance.

Comments welcome =). Good and bad.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks very good, and I like your moss selections! Best of luck to you! :)
Thank you =)

I'm very interested to see the moss rope.

Full Tank Shot?
I took some shots yesterday. I'll have it uploaded by next week hopefully. I got the moss rope idea from another member here.

That really cleared up :)
I love you ideas with the moss. Can't wait until it all grows in!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here's an update on my tank.

I switched my guppy tank into a shrimp tank =).

Singapore moss rope growing very well.

But sadly, it's getting algae. Can anyone ID this for me?

[STRIKE] Weeping moss[/STRIKE] Taiwan Moss

More [STRIKE]weeping moss[/STRIKE] Taiwan Moss

Fissidens fontanus growing slowly but at least it's growing.

New addition. More [STRIKE]weeping moss[/STRIKE] Taiwan Moss. hehe

Experimental Riccia carpet

And of course the full tank shot

Enjoy..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that fissidens driftwood is awesome.. its got that wild tree look :D
Thanks. That's what i what i wanted to do with it. I put the moss in different levels on the wood to have a tree depth effect. It just needs to fill in a little more. =)

Thanks for the ID. I'll try to get a couple of SAE's to get rid of the staghorn. I like the green dust algae though. Besides, it's food for the shrimps and oto. Will SEA's eat RCS or amanos?

And about the light system. I'm not sure what you mean by that. I got the aquarium as a whole set up with the canopy. I just took out the bulb and got an upgraded one from a local fish store. Power glow 18,000K

Wow! Thats coming along really well.
The moss is growing out a lot.
Looking really nice!
Yea i was surprised how fast the moss grew. My next move is to get some glosso or hc to fill in the ground. That's why it's empty right now. It's hard to get those around here in Canada.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Ummm no SAE's in a 10 gallon. They grow up to 6"...nuff said:hihi:

And no they won't eat RCS or Amanos, but they will eat the babies.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ummm no SAE's in a 10 gallon. They grow up to 6"...nuff said:hihi:

And no they won't eat RCS or Amanos, but they will eat the babies.
Hmm.. I guess no SAE's for me.. Maybe other method.

wow, what an improvement!. That fissidens looks awesome! Are you sure that that is weeping moss?
Thanks :). The person that sold me the moss said it's weeping. Maybe it takes a whole for it to "weep". Not really sure.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are updates from my tank

I like this picture because all of them are having a gathering. Looks like a christmas tree with the red balls.. lol

Added some HC.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I kind of like it untrimmed. I think you should leave it for now, and if it starts to take over the whole tank, trim it and sell it on the S&S. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do too but i heard that if you trim, they become thicker.

Shipping would cost more than the moss itself since i'm in Canada. So i don't think that's an option..lol

I kind of like it untrimmed. I think you should leave it for now, and if it starts to take over the whole tank, trim it and sell it on the S&S. :D

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
I do too but i heard that if you trim, they become thicker.

Shipping would cost more than the moss itself since i'm in Canada. So i don't think that's an option..lol
I bet seaserpant would buy some (he's in canada too) :) He's been looking for some moss :thumbsup: :)

1 - 20 of 196 Posts