The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts? Comments?

10 gallon low tech tank. Picture is from after setting it up tonight so it's still alittle cloudy. Using liquid ferts and currently using fluorescent fixture. Recently ordered Marineland planted LED. Can't wait to see it grow out.

Stock:
-15 sparrow rasboras
-2 scarlet Badis (var. Juanita Hills)
-6 dwarf cories
-8 glass shrimp

(Only thing in here at the moment is cories)

Plants:
-Java fern
-hygro corymbosa narrow
-crypt parva

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found one of my dwarf cories dead this morning :( not sure if it was simply old age or something else. I checked water and:

Nitrate- 10 ppms
Nitrite- 0 ppms
GH (hardness)- 70
Chlorine- 0
KH- 80
pH- 7.3

Nothing really seems out of the ordinary to me except my pH. All of the other cories in the tank are doing fine. I have experienced algae problems in the past. My tank sits near a large window with a pair of blinds that don't go down all of the way. I purchased curtains to deplete the natural lighting coming in and bought a Marineland Planted tank light with timer. That should arrive in the mail within the next week or so.

I want to resolve any major water issues before the sparrow rasboras I ordered come in. I only use large commercial grade bottled distilled water. Hope to get ahold of some and do a 25% water change by tonight to see if I can lower that pH number. :/

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a second note.. I tried to scoop out my "dead fish" that had been sucked onto the filter head and he was still alive D: I don't feel my water current is that strong.. He seemed alittle wobbly after I got him out so hopefully it was just a freak accident and he can shake it off.. Crossing my fingers and wishing for the best!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't imagine it is old age causing problems with your ailing cory. I have had corys live over 14 years. They can be very long lived fish. I keep mine in ph 7.8.
Is this a newly set up tank, and are the corys newly acquired?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tank is established and I have had my dwarf cories for about a year now :) I neglected it for the past few months and about a week ago I did a deep clean of all of the algae and did a 85% water change 3 days ago. He seemed perfectly normal after I got him out. I'm not sure what happens

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it's also important I mention that I am using API Co2 booster and API leaf zone. I do 5 ml of Co2 every other day and Leaf zone 1x's weekly. Lights are currently fluorescent and are on 8-9 hrs daily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I had feared.. I actually just double checked and it's actually just filtered water. I think I over analyzed trying to be responsible with my tank again. :/ Do you recommend just leaving the water alone for awhile and let it stabilize? I was going to do a 15% water change today.. Any suggestions and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
What filter are you using? Filter media?

I saw your test results, but didn't see ammonia test listed. Rearranging old settled tanks can stir up some gunk (hence the cloudy water) and ammonia may spike.
Just seeing what may be causing one of your corys to be weak to get stuck on the filter. Unless your filter really is strong.

Cleaning the algae was just manual scrubbing or chemicals?

Distilled water I believe has a neutral pH of 7, so your pH won't go below that without some changes to GH and KH.
Reverse Osmosis I believe can have a pH around 5.5 or so, so diluting with RO water can bring you tank water closer to the desired pH you want for the sparrow rasboras.

However, I don't think it's necessary to "chase" (as commonly said) the pH range of 6-7 that is said to keep sparrow rasboras at. 7.3 pH is close enough, and keeping it stable is better than constantly fluctuating the pH trying to "chase" the perfect pH.
According to Boraras urophthalmoides (Rasbora urophthalmoides) ? Seriously Fish
Your water hardness is within range so I would just stick with the more stable pH you are at now (7.3). I am sure the fish will be fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marineland biowheel (up to 20 gal) as I have always had great luck with using them. By media (I think what you're asking) is using the carbon cartiges. That is good to know. I special order my water so next time I will specify to change to RO water. And mix per your instructions and see what that does for me. Yea :) I totally agree with that. sometimes i think chasing an ideal pH can be more harmful than just letting the tank be. I'll try to be at peace with myself with that one.

Also- do you recommend doing small water changes every other day to try and dilute ammonia? Maybe that will help with

I'm needing to purchase the API master kit soon so I can have a greater coverage on my water. My current test kit only covers what I listed.

I really appreciate your expertise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately my little Cory didn't make it :( also- I got my rasboras shipped from Oregon (courtesy of WetSpot Fish) and go figure it is blizzarding and most schools are closed. Please send good vibes for the safe arrival of my fish in this snowy weather.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.