The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first attempt at a planted tank. Some of the plants will become too big for the tank, which I'm aware of, I just wanted a big bio load while some of the slower growers could develop. I also plan on moving plants to the background as they develop, like the crypts and java fern. I painted the back of the aquarium a flat black, which I think turned out really well.

Substrate: Fluorite
Lighting: 15W 9325K ( I was told to start with about an 8 hour photoperiod. Does that seem right?)
Filtration: HOB Aqua Clear
Heater: Rena Cal Excel 50W Submersible

Flora:

Hygophila difformis
Anubias spp.
Egeria densa
Echinodorus argentinensis
Microsorum pteropus
Cryptocoryne wendtii - Red

I plan on dosing with:

1/16 teaspoon of KNO3, 1-2x a week
1/32 teaspoon of KH2PO4, 1-2x a week
1.5 mL Excel every day

Any and all criticism is appreciated. Like I said, I don't really know EXACTLY what I'm doing so any help, or telling me what I've done wrong would be great.

Note: Tank is a bit cloudy due to just being set up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try to move the heater behind the wood if possible... and straighten up that sword, or whatever that tallest plant is in teh front... :)

Looks like a good start! :)
Yeah I plan on moving the heater in the future... Right now I have a lot of stem plants right along the back wall... as soon as I have to start taking some out I plan on hiding the heater on the back.

The plant in front is an Anubias. I planted the rhizome completely horizontal... In order to have the plant stand vertical i would need to plant the rhizome at an angle... is that ok? I figured eventually the plant would straighten itself out.

Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a picture this morning after things have cleared up a bit... also after straightening the Anubias in front.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You need to make sure that the rhizomes for the Anubias and Java ferns are up out of the substrate and exposed to light, or they'll die.

You sure that plant in front is an Anubias? Doesn't look like one to me...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to make sure that the rhizomes for the Anubias and Java ferns are up out of the substrate and exposed to light, or they'll die.

You sure that plant in front is an Anubias? Doesn't look like one to me...
I was told it was an Anubias, but I guess I don't know? It has a really large rhizome with roots coming out of it. The leaves were very hard as well.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I used water from an established tank, I was able to add fish already.

My two new Otto's hanging out on the driftwood.

My beautiful pair of Krib's

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Just water from an established tank won't do much. Unless you can also bring over some filter media, mulm, and/or substrate, you need to keep a very close eye on your water params and be ready for water changes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just water from an established tank won't do much. Unless you can also bring over some filter media, mulm, and/or substrate, you need to keep a very close eye on your water params and be ready for water changes.
Fully aware, I should have stated more. I mixed a ton of mulm into my substrate and switched over a filter. I'll keep a very close eye on the parameters... I have over 10 established tanks in my house so if anything spikes I can move them easily :).

Do you think I should just stay with a pair of Krib's and 2 Otto's in a 10 gallon or should I put a school of 6-8 white cloud's or some other small schooling tetras? I was also thinking about adding a school of 5-6 Hatchetfish instead of that. Thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.