The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been seeing videos and posts recently about pea puffers and decided I wanted to keep them but realized after the fact that they wouldn’t work with the fish I had in my other tanks so here we are with another tank. Lol.

Tank: Aqueon 10 gallon rimless aquarium
Substrate: 20lbs Eco-complete black
Hardscape: Seiryu stone
Filtration: Seachem Tidal 35
Light: Nicrew Classic LED Plus Planted 15W

Plants:
Microsorium pteropus “narrow leaf”
Microsorium pteropus “Thor’s hammer”
Anubias barteri var. nana
Rotala “blood red”
Micranthemum micranthemoides

Fish:
3 pea puffers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks awesome! I really like the way you situated the rocks. I've got a 10 gallon I'm setting up for a few pea puffers too! Let's just say I've gotta work on my scaping! Ahahaha
Thanks! I know it’s already full of plants but I can’t wait for it to mature and get new growth in those Java ferns and anubias and hoping the pearl weed carpets. The puffers love it though, swimming around and under the anubias leaves and finding little caves in the rocks. I was a bit worried there wouldn’t be enough hiding spots with this setup but it actually exceeded my expectations! I’d recommend watching some MD Fish Tanks vids. I’ve watched a lot of what he does and have gotten some ideas by just seeing what he and some others on YouTube have done. Then I just looked around and saw what I had and just kinda threw it together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks! I know it’s already full of plants but I can’t wait for it to mature and get new growth in those Java ferns and anubias and hoping the pearl weed carpets. The puffers love it though, swimming around and under the anubias leaves and finding little caves in the rocks. I was a bit worried there wouldn’t be enough hiding spots with this setup but it actually exceeded my expectations! I’d recommend watching some MD Fish Tanks vids. I’ve watched a lot of what he does and have gotten some ideas by just seeing what he and some others on YouTube have done. Then I just looked around and saw what I had and just kinda threw it together.

Yeah it's going to be awesome once it all fills in. I think that was my issue, I didn't quite realize how my plants would fill in. They're taking over! LOL I still like it and I think the pea puffers will too. But it just needs a more artistic touch. I'll definitely check out the vids though for some inspiration. My wife threatened me about getting another tank... so I used the 10 gallon I got from my sister. In retrospect I wish I would've just bought a 20 gallon I think. But such is life! LOL! I'm gonna stick with what I've got for now, probably take some of the plants out and move them to my other tanks and try to make it purty like yours. :) I'm learning though, which is half the battle.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Would this be considered more of a "Brazillian Style" than Iwagumi?
Not sure what you mean by Brazilian style. The hardscape is iwaguni-esque but I will concede with the planting it is most definitely not proper iwagumi, hence the iwagumi-inspired lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure what you mean by Brazilian style. The hardscape is iwaguni-esque but I will concede with the planting it is most definitely not proper iwagumi, hence the iwagumi-inspired lol.
I'm not an expert but just watching a bunch of the green aqua youtube videos it sounds like Brazilian style is sometimes simplified to "Iwagumi with stem plants in the background" whereas classic iwagumi is maybe really rock focused with mostly carpeting and smaller plants.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not an expert but just watching a bunch of the green aqua youtube videos it sounds like Brazilian style is sometimes simplified to "Iwagumi with stem plants in the background" whereas classic iwagumi is maybe really rock focused with mostly carpeting and smaller plants.
Interesting. I suppose that sorta fits then. Whatever it is I like the way it looks lol. That’s all that really matters I suppose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.