60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all
im starting a 10 gallon glosso tank
never tried this plant before , i heard a lot of people having trouble with it
so lets see if we can make a carpet
settings;
tank: 10 gallon
substrate: bottom layer; sphagnum peat moss,vermiculite and garden fertilizer.middle layer;bag of api laterite.top layer;schultz aquatic soil mixed with eco
lighting :48'' double strip home depot bulbs(2x40w)
filtration:fluval3plus cut to fit the tank
diy co2 and 50 watt hydor heater
all the equipment was already around didnt buy anything especially for this tank here are day 2 photos glosso already start bubbling
gonna update the photos

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Looking good... but I can't help but ask: why all that wasted light? At least put some potted herbs or something underneath there!

Seriously, though. Nice start! Seeing as how that's not much of a scape, per se, are you just growing it out to sell or to transfer to another tank?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have no other fixture and dont wanna spend for a 10 g
i just wanna see if i can grow it or not
if it does well i can do some aquascaping

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
That's a very interesting substrate combination;)

And you could also put a 20 gallon right next to the 10 gallon with 4" of extra light space.

·
Registered
405 Posts
When you say "darker" is that possibly a coating of some kind of algae as opposed to the leaves themselves getting "darker?"

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well, if you're certain that's it the color of the leaves themselves, that's not a problem. The newer growth on Glossos a lighter color-green than the more mature leaves, so this seems to be a natural development. As to the "melting"...can you post a close-up photo of that?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i just checked the leaves with my hand and it comes off ur right avi its algae.with garden fertilizers i was expecting some algae but not that soon.i did some research, from what i read they might be diatoms usually happens new setups.i wish i had some test kits:)im gonna add some fast growing stems tomorrow and 1/4 water change every day hope this helps.the co2 reactor attached to filter output really slows down the water circulation i dont know if that effects algae growth.gonna update photos once stems added

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well, I did have a feeling that it was not right, but that's all right. I think that it's pretty important to get yourself at least a nitrate test kit, for the short run. If you don't replenish the nitrates in the tank that you'd need after you do the water changes, depending on your lighting and CO2 level, then you would only encourage an algae growth because the plants you have and will acquire won't have enough nitrate to flourish. That's how algae gets a foothold. So, overall, I think you should consider estimative index dosing as a fert regime so that you don't have to rely so much on testing in the future as you would have to by going haphazardly. It isn't expenstive, really...and the amounts of the ferts that you add to your tank are pre-calculated so that you don't have to test as often as you would if you're completely relying on the condition of your tank, which will often entail correction as you go along all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts