The Planted Tank Forum banner

10 Gallon Celestial Pearl Danio/Kuhli Journal

5606 5
Well I'm thinking of evicting my rats from their 10 gallon, cleaning it up and make guess what another fish tank! I'd like to make it planted with rocks, wood, etc. I don't have alot of funds (Sophmore in highschool) so it'd have to consist of low light plants. I'll have to buy a new lid for the tank as it currently has a cage like thing on top so suggestions on what type of light would also help because the last lid I bought didn't come with bulbs. In my other 10 gallon I have a moss ball, dwarf hair grass, and I have an Anubias hanging out in my main tank (couldn't deside where to put it.) So what I need help with is what kind of substrate (something darkish preferably), what kind of plants, anything that I'd need to take care of them, and anything else y'all can suggest. I'd really like the stocking to be something like this. 6-8 Celestial Pearl Danios and 4-5 kuhli loaches. I got this suggestion off another site but they're fish I really like (especially the kuhlis). If you guys can think of any other small fish like the celestials I'll take a look at them as these guys are a little pricey lol. Plus I'm not sure of where to get some from in person (I have about a 45 min drive to the dallas/fort worth texas area if anyone has suggestions.) Also I'd like to kinda design my tank around these guys so If you have suggestion of things that are good for them that would be greatly appreciated. And yes I know that's a lot of questions, sorry just trying to cover the bases.

*Now that this is started i'm turning it into a journal so check down the thread for updates*
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
a pea sized inert gravel will be fine if you're on a budget, just pair it with root tabs and basic liquid fertilizers. but if you can afford it, go for one of the plant specific substrates (example, flourite). if you stay around 20 watts of light you shouldn't have to concern yourself with C02 supplementation. just make sure to get the correct, plant specific light spectrum (anything between 6700k-1000k). stay away from incandescent bulbs.

in terms of plant selection just stick with low light undemanding types. and thats all you have to 'google' or base your search on.

from what i understand on kuhli loaches, they would rather be in a larger tank than a 10. and they can be quite messy. in addition, any substrate with sharp edges could injure them. celestial pearls would be fine in there though.

i noticed this posting had a lot of views and no comments so i thought i'd chip in and give you some ideas. hope this helped!

· Wanabe BKK Herder
2,159 Posts
Also I'd like to kinda design my tank around these guys so If you have suggestion of things that are good for them that would be greatly appreciated.
I just did a biopte for my betta, and the two fish you're talking about are from the same area. There's a big list of suggestions on this thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/plants/124377-suggestions-betta-biotope.html

I just trimmed my tank and sent off everything to aquastudent, but if you can wait a couple of weeks for plants, I'd be happy to send you the next batch of low light culls.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright I'm planning on goint to a couple of bigger fish stores in dallas to see what they have in regards to substrate, decor, and fish (obviously not to buy yet, just to see).
Betta Maniac that would be amazing! Just let me know what I need to do : )

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I got it started last night!

Okay the only reason I got the fish right away is because I remembered about some extra filter media in one of my filters that I put in here. So I got 6 baby Celestials, too small for me to sex but maybe someone else has a better eye. The substrate is Eco Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate, The filter is a tetra HOB witha sponge cover over the intake. The few plants I got were a Moss ball (I love these little guys), Wisteria, and Crypt Parva, and an Anubias thats been floating in my big tank forever. I'll get more in the future I just wanted something to get me started with. I boiled the driftwood to get the tannins out and my water isn't cloudy at all :)

Acclimating

And they're free!

Adorable little things :)

They seem to like the Parva.

Full tank shot this afternoon.

Moss ball!

Top view.

When I get more background plants I think I'll condense the Wisteria to the back left more. Well what do you guys think? I still have to get a black background and a lid... I;ve been using cardboard lids that I took off for the pics lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.