The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i finally got my lights and the tank setup to how i think i want it. haha this pictures is actually a few days old.

i put a piece of driftwood in the tank last night but i haven't taken pictures of it yet. i think i might do that in a few minutes =]

in the tank i have:
4 japonica shrimp
3 otos
3 clown killifish (had 4 one disapeard)

equipment:
aquaclear 20
hagen co2
a really old topfin heater
satellite 40watt cf w lunar light 6700k\10000k

i will put more pics up soon...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the topfin works but i think its on its last leg. that is the next purchase =]

i took pics of the tank as of right now.

next i have these 2 plants and not totally sure what they are. i know the mondo grass but not sure about the red one and the green\red bushy one.

and here is one of my killifish (don't mind the algae on the glass thats why i bought the otos yesterday :icon_surp )

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'd suggest getting a canister and an inline heater. It would take a lot of the hardware out of the tank, and conserve CO2. It will be a little pricy, but well worth it. Probably about $120 with shipping.

Also, your tank isn't sitting evenly. That's VERY bad. I can't stress that enough.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'd suggest getting a canister and an inline heater. It would take a lot of the hardware out of the tank, and conserve CO2. It will be a little pricy, but well worth it. Probably about $120 with shipping.

Also, your tank isn't sitting evenly. That's VERY bad. I can't stress that enough.
Yea i was thinking about getting a canister but but that won't be for a little bit maybe in a few months. Why is it VERY bad that the tank isn't level? Won't i have to much water movement with a canister filter running? if i did get one id get the magnum hot canister.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Yea i was thinking about getting a canister but but that won't be for a little bit maybe in a few months. Why is it VERY bad that the tank isn't level? Won't i have to much water movement with a canister filter running? if i did get one id get the magnum hot canister.
Don't buy a HOT Magnum. They are crap. Buy an Eheim, or a Rena. If the tank isn't level it means the glass is taking stress on different parts in an undue amount. And 10 gallon tanks have thin glass already. Don't be surprised when 9.5 gallons of water is on your floor.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
well that's a good thing to know =] so which Eheim or Rena would you sugest with such a small tank? i dont want somethign that is going to move to much water.
Whatever the smallest model is I think there is like XP1 or something... You can always cover the intake with a very very very fine mesh bag like the ones you put filter media in, that will slow it down a ton...

-Andrew

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok well i was looking around and found this. Eheim Classic Eheim Plus
2213-37. It is rated for 66 gallons, 102 gph. its on sale for $59.49 at dr foster.

Now if i have to put a filter bag over the intake its going to look stupid. how bad could the magnum hot filter be? it seems like the best thing for me to get. If anyone has a magnum hot would you recommend it?

i want this tank to be nice but i don't want to get insane on it. i have a 29 gallon that i want to plant but i wanna get this tank setup and running right first.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Most canister filters like a 2213 would be overkill on this tank. Just get keep with the HOB and keep your water levels up so there's not a lot of splashing. I would recommend a glass diffuser for co2 performance and aesthetics.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually I've seen people with mondo grass in their tank and it didn't rot. It can be done.
i've had it in water for about 4 months. i had it in one of my other tanks and it was getting a little brown so i moved it into this tank. since i did that the grass has gotten more green and healthy looking. i think that it just needs a good amount of light to do well.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have mondo in my 55 that hasbeen submerged for over 6months. it is growing too.
The XP1 is best for this tank, but the AC 20 is fine too, better then the topfin crap filters. I have a penn plaxx cascade HOB on my ten that's the same size as the top fin 10. IMHO, it does great, and the AC20 should be better.
How sturdy is that sattelight?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.