The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a ten gallon, with 20 watts of lighting, no co2 and sand as the substrate, some basalt rocks, one small amazon sword, couple of tiny wisteria, and about a dozen juvenile kribensis and a couple baby lamp. Sp. shelldwellers, I do regular liquid ferts but im trying to think of some good plants for this tank any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi i basically have the same setup except mine is close to the window and is a 14 gallon running 2 10 watt florescent bulbs from walmart. If your bulbs are flourecent then you will want to try more water wisteria, and rotala indica. Another good plant is java fern and java moss which don't require much light. I also have a few other plants in my tank that are doing well but i don't remember the names of them. I think my tank is doing goo because i have it right next to the window but if the water wisteria is doing good then get more of it and some rotala indica. You could also try some bannana plants which are small little foreground plants that grow leaves out of what appear to be little bannanas, and Petco usually has all three of these in my area. If the sword is doing good then you could throwanother one of those in. I have a similar setup but this is just a suggestion and i don't want you to waste your money if these plants are going to die because i think a good amount of my lighting comes from my big back door window and it helps them grow well, and i don't even use fertilizer but i'm going to start using it. You could also try DIY co2 setup. You can search it on youtube and find tons of videos about it! It's cheap, simple, and effective, and while i haven't built one yet, it may be a future project once i get the supplies to do it. If you really don't have enough lighting and every thing you put in there dies off, then you may want to get a CFL (compact florescent light). You could go to walmart and pick up a florescent clip on light and clip like two of them on and get some bulbs, and you would have a pretty cheap light fixture that works well and is pretty but effective at keeping your plants healthy. Also do you have any pictures or videos of your tank? I would love to see it! Also what fertilizer do you use/reccomend, and have you had good results with the fertilizer?

Hope this helped :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with your water quality. Do you have flourecent lighting, also is it close to a window?I think that you shouldbuy more of the plants that you have that have been growing and doing well like the wisteria and sword.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
The wpg rule only applies to T12 and T8 bulbs
What type of bulbs do you have?

Java fern and moss love phosphates. Many cities dose the water with phosphates. Perhap your city doesn't. Alternative is to dose potassium sulfate.

How about a picture?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.