The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm setting up a ten gallon tank and I need some advice on some light bulbs. I have the cheap-o hood from Wal Mart and it doesn't allow for big bulbs (thickness-wise). Should I be ok with the 10wat flourescent bulbs in their fish section? They're 6700 and all so they aren't bad I just worry that the lighting will not be enough for a full carpet of Dwarf Hair Grass? I have a DIY co2 in the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 20" tank. I'm unsure of the other dimentions (I'm @ work so I can't measure it, lol)! Do you know of a good place to find some very small (once again girth-wise) 15 wat bulbs? I found some 13w spirals at walmart but they were to thick.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Not a clue, what with being in a different county. Tom Barr recommended 2x 15w t8's to me when I had my 10gallon and couldn't shake the algae so I feel safe recommending them to you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The 2x 15w t8s are a tube fluorescent light. I believe that the op has a hood that is designed for incandescent bulbs so those won't work.

Pariah - If you go to a hardware store you might be able to find some U-shaped fluorescent bulbs that could work for you, just be careful that they won't end up too long

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
So, I'm setting up a ten gallon tank and I need some advice on some light bulbs. I have the cheap-o hood from Wal Mart and it doesn't allow for big bulbs (thickness-wise). Should I be ok with the 10wat flourescent bulbs in their fish section? They're 6700 and all so they aren't bad I just worry that the lighting will not be enough for a full carpet of Dwarf Hair Grass? I have a DIY co2 in the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yes. I have this particular hood and lights. Great growth on medium light and low light plants. However, without diy co2 or excel, you will experience algae.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i set up a 10 gal for my gf about 6 months ago using the barr non-co2 method. used the same hood with the incandescent sockets. i painted the entire inside white. bought those lights of america, 10 watt, 6700k, twin-tube bulbs that walmart sells in their pet section. they are slim and easily fit into the fixture. probably have less restrike issues than spiral ones.

the tank has been very stable for the past 2 - 3 months. she's got basically low light plants--java ferns/moss, anubias, crypts, and a little h zosteriofolia. fairly high fish load; she feeds liberally. no algae, 25% wc every 3 months, no ferts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts