The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10' x 2' x 2' (30m x 0.6m x 0.6m) tank, that I am in the process of converting from cichlid to high tech planted. The tank has a needlessly complicated DIY sump system that I won't get into. Suffice it to say that it provides a gentle flow from one end on the tank to the other, but otherwise if not useful for CO2 distribution.

The question is, how do I get CO2 evenly distributed through a tank of that length. My first thought was to use an inline diffusor with a canister filter dedicated to this purpose. Put the canister outlet, for example in form of a spray bar, submerged at the bottom of one end of the tank, and blow the CO2 enriched water across the tank with a good sized power head/wave maker.

Then I though, why not split the canister filter outlet in three, and let the CO2 enriched water enter the tank in three different places - one end, middle, other end. What kind on outlet would be best suited?

In your opinion/experience, what is the better solution? Is there anything better I haven't thought about?

Many thanks!

Frank

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 10' x 2' x 2' (30m x 0.6m x 0.6m) tank, that I am in the process of converting from cichlid to high tech planted. The tank has a needlessly complicated DIY sump system that I won't get into. Suffice it to say that it provides a gentle flow from one end on the tank to the other, but otherwise if not useful for CO2 distribution.

The question is, how do I get CO2 evenly distributed through a tank of that length. My first thought was to use an inline diffusor with a canister filter dedicated to this purpose. Put the canister outlet, for example in form of a spray bar, submerged at the bottom of one end of the tank, and blow the CO2 enriched water across the tank with a good sized power head/wave maker.

Then I though, why not split the canister filter outlet in three, and let the CO2 enriched water enter the tank in three different places - one end, middle, other end. What kind on outlet would be best suited?

In your opinion/experience, what is the better solution? Is there anything better I haven't thought about?

Many thanks!

Frank
I run my co2 into 3 power heads at the bottom of the tank. Pointed in different directions. Get pretty decent coverage that way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The tank has a needlessly complicated DIY sump system that I won't get into.
Have you discussed this? Wondering what is needlessly complicated, because I am assembling a sump for the first time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you discussed this? Wondering what is needlessly complicated, because I am assembling a sump for the first time.
My current sump is not under the tank but above the tank. Why did I do it? Because I can! Now that I have shown it, I can confidently say it's not worth the effort.

On my website, I am discussing a low tech, low price, easy to set up sump system. That one I can wholeheartedly recommend!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts