The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Have 10 years of salt water experience. Migrated to fresh water after a move. Have a problem with algae in my 10 Gallon. Been up a year. Have about 25-30 shrimp 2 snails 3 guppies 4 neon tetras. Do 2 gallon water change a week. Dose only flourish every water change. Have ac 30, current USA serene sun pro. Light cycle is 8 hours have scaled it back. Water parameters ph 7.2 nitrates 10 under nitrites 0 ammonia 0. Been battling it for 3 months. I will attach a picture. I appreciate any help.

Here’s the tank

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey so Im assuming everything was fine for the first 9 months then, with algae appearing in the last 3 months?
If so then I would think that your tank has somehow become imbalanced in those last 3 months and since you've been dosing flourish and nothing else, its probably micro/trace elements that might have depleted.

Sounds similar to what Im dealing with atm as my tank was fine for ~2 years but recently has a experienced an algae bloom. @Edward posted in my thread here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/1315945-help-algae-bloom-2.html "Seachem Flourish is just iron Fe with almost nothing else. Seachem Iron is only iron Fe, don’t need more. What you need is Seachem Flourish with Seachem Trace to get complete trace element mix."

Do you know your KH and GH? and are there any rocks in there?

Thats my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I do not know my KH or GH. Also no rocks in the tank. I’ll grab a those test kits as I do not have them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Plenty of plants. No Ammonia. Maybe turn down the lights a little. It could be high Phosphate. I guess you could change water to lower it. Be careful not to lower the GH too fast in your water changes because fish are sensitive to osmotic shock. I used to have a Phosguard pillow which worked pretty well. You may have to take some of your thirty shrimp back if they're causing high Phosphate in my opinion. Don't know anything about shrimp though except that they're cool.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If the only thing you’re fertilizing with is flourish, then your issue is likely incomplete fertilization.

Flourish is only micros if I remember correctly. You need a good source of macros (N,P,K).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm going to go the opposite way as @Savetheplants, and say that your phosphates are too low. You'll want to get one of those test kits to verify, but as @jaz419 mentioned, your plants need both Macronutrients (NO3, PO4, and K) and Micronutrients (usually a premix) in order to thrive. When you have too much or too little of something, your plants will struggle and algae will take over.

There's the way to think about it... if your plants aren't getting the nutrients that they need, they begin to die. They don't just keel over and die like an animal though... instead, they "melt" away, leeching ammonia and phosphates into your water column. The algae take advantage of this, and attach themselves to the plants to soak up that PO4 right at the source. So in effect, high PO4 is feeding the algae because you have low PO4 in your tank.

Marine tanks try to focus on having 0 N or P in their tanks in order to prevent algae from growing, and they'll do that by adding Phosgaurd or Chaedo in their sumps. This DOESN'T work in a planted tank, because Phosphorus is a required element for plants to grow. There is no debate about that, plants simply cannot grow without Phosphorus. There are a lot of newer people on this forum that will come on and try to push Phosguard as a solution, and it's bad advice.

Take a look at the dosing regiments of people on here like @Greggz, @Immortal1, @happi, and many others. Some of the most beautiful, healthiest tanks in the world run 5-10ppm of phosphate without algae.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got rid of the Phosguard pillow because it was getting old and taking up precious space. You can reduce whatever excess compound you have with water changes so the pillow isn't necessary. I agree about higher Phosphate levels not being that big of a deal. Mine is currently at 3.36 mg/l PO4. I'm not at all concerned about it. The reason I suspect high Phosphate is that your Ammonia and Nitrate are low which in conjunction with your stock seems to isolate high Phosphate as a potential problem. However, as @WaldoDude posted earlier, it could be a micro or trace element deficiency which according to Liebig's Law of the minimum will cause your plants to struggle. In which case, the algae will take advantage of them as described by @jellopuddinpop. I did not know struggling plants leached Ammonia and Phosphate and that algae will attach themselves to the plant to get directly at it. That makes algae sort of like carrion birds. When you see it you know there's something wrong with your plants. Thank you @jellopuddinpop this has been most informative.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I did not know struggling plants leached Ammonia and Phosphate and that algae will attach themselves to the plant to get directly at it. That makes algae sort of like carrion birds. When you see it you know there's something wrong with your plants. Thank you @jellopuddinpop this has been most informative.
This is the reason you can have algae (especially hair algae) effecting plants, but not hardscape. It will grow on the plants because they're the source of their nutrients.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts