The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the hobby but learning fast. 20 gallon long, 78 degrees, 3ish weeks out of cycling. I’m struggling with hair algae, first came brown algae/diatoms then that got battled off by all my workers plus just time, now I’m dealing with a brown hair algae mess that I can’t battle enough to keep it from killing my plants. I need help beating it, I have excel Flourish but I’ve never used it. The amano shrimp try but it’s just growing too fast to outcompete. Open to anything, I hate my plants dying.

Light- finnex planted 24/7+ cc

Filter- fluval c3 with stock filters instead of carbon using purigen

Dosing easy green twice a week

Pressurized co2 8am-2pm Light- 9am to 3pm

4 panda Cory’s, bristlenose pleco, mystery snail, 3 amano shrimp, male betta

Plants- ergeria densa (anachris), crypt albida red, Christmas moss, anubias nana petite, black marble mini bucce, s repens, dwarf hairgrass, one marimo ball for betta boy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Cut lighting back to 5 hours a day
Dim the light down to 75% max output
Dose Excel @ the recommended water change rate 1 time per day, every day
Ensure you are achieving a full 1.0 drop in pH from using CO2, 1.2-1.3 would be even better. Slowly ramp up to these levels to limit any distress on livestock
Manually remove as mush as possible
Manually remove any and all sources of extra organic material in the tank -- clean up dead / dying plant matter -- clean filter regularly in old tank water

You never mentioned what nutrients you are dosing, how often you are dosing them, your substrate, your water change schedule, or any other water parameters that can be of help:

pH
kH
gH

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cut lighting back to 5 hours a day
Dim the light down to 75% max output
Dose Excel @ the recommended water change rate 1 time per day, every day
Ensure you are achieving a full 1.0 drop in pH from using CO2, 1.2-1.3 would be even better. Slowly ramp up to these levels to limit any distress on livestock
Manually remove as mush as possible
Manually remove any and all sources of extra organic material in the tank -- clean up dead / dying plant matter -- clean filter regularly in old tank water

You never mentioned what nutrients you are dosing, how often you are dosing them, your substrate, your water change schedule, or any other water parameters that can be of help:

pH
kH
gH
Thanks for chiming in. So I will follow the advice on lighting, excel will be here Sunday so I will start dosing then. For nutrients, I am dosing aquarium co op easy green all in one fert, two squirts (one squirt per 10 gallons) twice a week. The nitrates sit around 20ppm.

Typically, 50% water changes on saturday once a week, easy green on Sunday and wednesday. Up until a couple days ago, lighting was WAY more than 6 hours, so that was the first thing I changed. Will it also help to add more plants?

Sidneote, I would like to start EI dosing with green leaf aquariums dry ferts, opinions?

PH before co2, about 8, after about 7.

KH of about 6 dKH or 107ppm. GH is about 9 dKH or 161 ppm.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Thanks for chiming in. So I will follow the advice on lighting, excel will be here Sunday so I will start dosing then. For nutrients, I am dosing aquarium co op easy green all in one fert, two squirts (one squirt per 10 gallons) twice a week. The nitrates sit around 20ppm.

Typically, 50% water changes on saturday once a week, easy green on Sunday and wednesday. Up until a couple days ago, lighting was WAY more than 6 hours, so that was the first thing I changed. Will it also help to add more plants?

Sidneote, I would like to start EI dosing with green leaf aquariums dry ferts, opinions?

PH before co2, about 8, after about 7.

KH of about 6 dKH or 107ppm. GH is about 9 dKH or 161 ppm.
The light was likely the main cause. Keep up with your current routine but with the lights cut way back, and go from there.

More plants will likely help, as long as they are growing healthy of course.

·
Registered
648 Posts
As others have said, you can lower your light to basically reset your baseline. Get it under control at 50% power, then move up from there.

To avoid brown algae, use RO water I stead of tap.

Also, I have a 20 long and am battling algae too. Everything points to dead spots in the center and corners. Fish poop just settles. Of course, too much light brings the issue out more. Check out jebao ow-10's if you run into the same issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts