The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, some of you may have been following my thread about glass jars in our house. Well I finally started my experiment! Detailed step by step will follow. :)

Here is the opening of my jar:

Quite small. Actually my hand won't even fit!

So, with a plan in mind, I went ahead and started shopping for what I needed.
yes feel free to cringe here at my plant selections....

Supplies are as follows:

1x 1(ish) Gallon Glass Jar
1x 8qt bag of potting mix
1x aquarium silicone tube
3x random rocks
1x REALLY long pair of tweezers
1x 1lb black sand (inert)
1x battery operated air pump
1x airline hose with small airstone
1x very small heater
1x check valve
1x hygrophila difformis (water wisteria)
1x rotala rotundifolia (dwarf rotala)
1x alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis' (telanthera cardinalis)
1x white/blue LED light
1x Seachem Flourish
1x Seachem Flourish Potassium
1x diamond tipped drill bit

So with that I began cleaning my new tank.

And marking the spot which I would drill (after some practice on unimportant things...)

The glass was thicker than anticipated. It took me about 3-4 minutes at max speed and medium pressure to drill all the way through. Didn't come out super pretty but it works for what it's intended for.

Once that was done, I did a quick fitting of my airline.

And, finally satisfied, I proceeded to apply the silicone around the area to seal it completely.

I used a candle to prop it up so it will dry in a more straight position.

Tomorrow, I will be painting the back half of the jar with black spray paint. I will also need to build a custom stand for the light so it is balanced over the center of the jar. Once I get all that done it will be time to put in potting soil, plant my plants, carefully place sand on top, and full with water. Hopefully everything goes as planned...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw those when I went in but didn't see them for sale. It's OK, the light I got is awesome, and can be changed to night mode for viewing in the dark. I don't mind doing a little more "DIY" for it ;)

Off to a good start as it is. Can't wait for tomorrow!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Final product! I finished it!

OK so a custom stand had to be built for the light so that's what you're gonna see under it. It was a real SON-OF-A to plant let me tell ya. But I got it done. Put 3 root tabs under it all to get it started (Lord help me when I have to add more :( )

I ended up returning the Miracle Gro.

And, here she is.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! It was a LOT of work and frankly would have been easier with a jar with a larger opening.... Nonetheless it came out pretty good. The water wisteria did not make it into this jar. No way I could get it planted, my hands are just too big and the forceps too small.

Anyway I floated the remaining plants in my 15G for now. I'll plant them in there a little later when I do the water change.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absolutely none! I gunked it pretty good with the silicone. Unfortunately the airline is so strong I could never put anything ornate such as a betta in it. Not that it's suitable for one anyway as it is so small

·
Registered
70 Posts
Absolutely none! I gunked it pretty good with the silicone. Unfortunately the airline is so strong I could never put anything ornate such as a betta in it. Not that it's suitable for one anyway as it is so small
Just throw a needle valve on it and tone it down some so you can put shrimp in it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just throw a needle valve on it and tone it down some so you can put shrimp in it.
That's a good idea. I think I will. The air pump i originally bought was really really loud so I put one on it meant for a 10g tank. It's got a good current going through it lmao.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.