The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planted a bowl today, thought i had more than enough aquasoil in it. (6.6 G bowl +3liter bag of soil) now i discovered only having about 1 inch of soil in the middle of the bowl.

Is this going to be a problem? Do i need more?

See my journal for more info on plants etc:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=916938

(i hope i'm allowed to link like this?!)

·
Registered
151 Posts
As somebody who has tried to get by with much too little, I'd suggest taking no chances and add a little more to be safe.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It's only 1" deep right at the center and becomes much more shallow closer to the edge of the bowl. You'll have trouble growing rooted plants in substrate that shallow.

Personally, I'd go with the driftwood you have in the first pic and attach rheophytes (anubias, java fern, bucephalandra, etc) or mosses to it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's only 1" deep right at the center and becomes much more shallow closer to the edge of the bowl. You'll have trouble growing rooted plants in substrate that shallow.

Personally, I'd go with the driftwood you have in the first pic and attach rheophytes (anubias, java fern, bucephalandra, etc) or mosses to it.
I like the driftwood as well but I'm saving that project for later. First I want to see if I can grow other plants, I know it can be done in this kind of bowl, im afraid i do need some more substrate though. Going to the lfs tomorrow for soil and root tabs.(Search YouTube for jungle bubble for an example of a nice heavily planted bowl. )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts