The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been working on this one since about December.
Rebuilt a sink cabinet for the stand.
Built an external Bean Animal overflow from scratch and
lastly, build the sump from a used 30 gallon tank.

I leak tested it about a month ago.
Got one TINY leak around the one bulkhead keeping an eye on it.

I've got some regular and narrow leaf Java fern coming today, along with a couple swords.

Then I have a ton of various Crypts on order. I plan to use a bunch of smaller crypts for mid ground plants and then Crypt parva as the foreground plants scattered around the rock piles.

Still undecided on:
1. carpet
2. CO2 injection

I may see how this goes low tech and if all goes well I may just stick with that.

Fish will be:
1. as close to wild looking angelfish as I can find without breaking the bank on wild ones.
2. sterbi corys.

Thanks for looking check back often for updates!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
added some narrow and regular leaf java fern, couple swords.
Dumped in Tetra SafeStart and added 6 angels!

After one feeding this morning they are puppy dogs already! They follow me around looking for more!

Hopefully my crypt package will arrive today and I will plant the mid ground with various crypts then tuck crypt parva on the slopes between the rocks.

I will put downi in the valley between the two rock piles.
I want this to be low light/low tech so the downi might not be a good choice? I've never done that plant so advice on it is welcome!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Plants came in yesterday! YAAAAA!

All crypts as the plan is low light, low tech...BUT I can already feel a lot of the bigger crypts will go and I probably replace them with C. lucens. I really like lucens for some reason!

All thats left is a couple more Angels and then a heard of sterbai! The LFS had a big bunch in yesterday but at $20/each I'll hold out! The local Petsmart gets them in a lot for half that price!

Well, here it is, now on to the patients phase!!

Bump: close up and comment..
I absolutely LOVE the bean animal external overflow!!! Best choice of equipment ever!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looking good. Love the good old wild form silver angels. You can't beat the classics!
I will put downi in the valley between the two rock piles.
I want this to be low light/low tech so the downi might not be a good choice? I've never done that plant so advice on it is welcome!
How much light do you have? I've read that it can grow in low tech, though it gets 'leggy'. That said, I've been quite successful at killing downoi in low light/low tech tanks. Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking good. Love the good old wild form silver angels. You can't beat the classics!

How much light do you have? I've read that it can grow in low tech, though it gets 'leggy'. That said, I've been quite successful at killing downoi in low light/low tech tanks. Your mileage may vary...
Well, you will notice..just the silvers went out the window when I saw a marble that had a neat wide dorsal fin with a big white streak, it has a really nice green sheen. Then there was only one marble left in the tank after picking the ones I wanted..so he had to come home! Geezz I'm getting soft in my old age! LOL..

I have an Ecoxotic and it turned down to 50%. I can get all the light I need but mixing downi with the other low light plants may be a mistake. It was only $10 so not to worried!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.