The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,
Did someone succeed with 1 gallon planted tank for the long run without a filter?

·
Registered
81 Posts
With no fish sure no problem but with fish you will only succeed in killing any and all fish

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know I am not necessarily answering your question, but I do have a suggestion, Just upgrade to a five-gallon, and get the cheapest tiniest sponge filter available, why do I say this? because it seems as though you are new to the hobby and don't realize that no living thing can, or will live in a 1-gallon tank. 5-gallon tanks are like $20 max. the sponge filter will be $5 bucks,

This is Necessary no filter tanks are way harder to maintain than filtered tanks, water changes are still needed with no flow algae problems can arise, not to mention the build-up of detritus in your tank, Amano shrimp can only do so much. please take this into account and make the best decision for your skill level,

after all, you can do whatever you want in this hobby, as long as the fish's well being is put first

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm experimenting with a 1 gallon planted tank with no filter, just a mini heater currently. Home to a couple of crypts I pulled from an established tank, some java moss clumps, and a bunch of duckweed. I think starting it with gravel and plants from an established tank jump started it. It currently needs a ton of maintenance with algae because sitting on a bookshelf approx 6" under a mounted finnex stingray 2. The duckweed has recently filled it a lot and seems to be helping. Might try micro dosing liquid c02 once I remove the fry and snail.

I have a blue ramshorn in there with 6 dalmatian molly fry that were rescued from a friends canister filter. I don't think I would keep any adult fish in there but it's working great for raising fry. I have two more of these tanks and will likely set them up soon.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have done something similar, but a filter is necessary of only for water agitation. I had a a small 1-2 gallon tank that I kept some shrimp in. It was heavily planted and I had a small filter running off of a solar powered pump. If you keep up with water changes every few days you should be fine.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have set up a couple 1 gal planted bowls for years on my west facing window with zero tech, meaning no filter, heater or aeration. Inhabitants are Ramshorn snails, cherry and Amano shrimp, no fish except fake ones. Shrimp generate minuscule bio load and are happy, molting and growing, but not multiplying. I doubt if I can find fish that can survive in such a tight quarter with zero water movement, and can tolerate seasonal and diurnal temp variation of between 62 to 88F.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have set up a couple 1 gal planted bowls for years on my west facing window with zero tech, meaning no filter, heater or aeration. Inhabitants are Ramshorn snails, cherry and Amano shrimp, no fish except fake ones. Shrimp generate minuscule bio load and are happy, molting and growing, but not multiplying. I doubt if I can find fish that can survive in such a tight quarter with zero water movement, and can tolerate seasonal and diurnal temp variation of between 62 to 88F.
what I don't get is the no-flow, if your tank has no flow, won't algae, and detritus, as well as other things of that kind form?

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can use your substrate as a filter if you run flow through it and it isn't too coarse.
That not completely accurate,beneficial bacteria does grow on the substrate but it wouldn’t do the job of a filter

If they are not breeding they are not happy

I have done something similar, but a filter is necessary of only for water agitation. I had a a small 1-2 gallon tank that I kept some shrimp in. It was heavily planted and I had a small filter running off of a solar powered pump. If you keep up with water changes every few days you should be fine.
What kind of filter do you use ,filter help contain beneficial bacteria and fish poop so they are not just there for agitation that’s an airstone

Why not just get one nice big tank instead of getting all these small tank,then you can actually keep fish healthy

·
Registered
645 Posts
If they are not breeding they are not happy
They are breeding, and I see shrimplets from time to time, just very few grow to adulthood so the population is not growing. I don’t know why.

Why not just get one nice big tank instead of getting all these small tank,then you can actually keep fish healthy
I already have one 125g, one 75g planted tanks with big fish, no shrimp, plus a few big grow out tanks in the basement.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They are breeding, and I see shrimplets from time to time, just very few grow to adulthood so the population is not growing. I don’t know why.

I already have one 125g, one 75g planted tanks with big fish, no shrimp, plus a few big grow out tanks in the basement.
So why even bother with small tanks they might look cute but are not practical

·
Registered
67 Posts
So why even bother with small tanks they might look cute but are not practical
hey, don't be a negative nancy, nano tanks are extremely cool,

and there is nothing practical about this hobby, were doing this for fun, for the enjoyment of keeping a pet, if it were practical we would all be salmon farmers.

you can have your own opinion, just don't bring down the room everywhere you go, :cautious:

·
Registered
81 Posts
hey, don't be a negative nancy, nano tanks are extremely cool,

and there is nothing practical about this hobby, were doing this for fun, for the enjoyment of keeping a pet, if it were practical we would all be salmon farmers.

you can have your own opinion, just don't bring down the room everywhere you go, :cautious:
Just saying anything in small tank never have a very good life compared to those in larger tanks ,and you can disregard fish well fare for “fun”,and salmon need way more space than a 1 gallon FYI so your definitely can’t be a salmon farmer

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hobby is not about practicality, it’s an addiction. You don’t get paid to do the work.
It’s also about fish well fare which you clearly don’t care about so just because you don’t get paid you can abuse animals? You are a great human being

·
Registered
497 Posts
It is very true; but you have to use my defn of a filter as oppose to your defn.

That not completely accurate,beneficial bacteria does grow on the substrate but it wouldn’t do the job of a filter
That is one way; another is to run tubing or pvc with holes and then generate a gentle flow; the key idea is to have the water gently flow through the substrate. Mostly you get bio filtration but it will also suck particles. However it does have some negatives. It works well for a very light well balanced system. The catch is most people vastly over populate tanks and require a much stronger mechanical filtration to remove excess waste of various forms.

what do you mean run flow under it? like an under-gravel filter? an air stone?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a little 2 gallon cube that is currently growing out some ricefish fry from eggs. They're still too small to take baby brine shrimp though, we're talking SUPER small fry here that were accidentally introduced. I also have a 3-gallon tank with some shrimp. Both are fairly heavily planted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts