The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had this little nano and equipment lying around the house so I decided to bring it back to life for my home office a few weeks ago.

Hardware
Tank - 1.5G Mr Aqua rimless
Light - Chihiros A-Series
Filter - Azoo Mignon 60
Co2 - Pressurized Azoo

Hardscape
Substrate - Petco black sand, yeah Petco
Spiderwood

Flora
Buce 'belindae dark'
Christmas moss
Crypt parva
Mini pellia

Fauna
TBD - Probably Endlers/shrimp

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks very cool, I like the wood coming out of the water like that. Though I think you are not using a lot of real estate by putting that much soil. Almost half the tank is filled with it. Maybe if the soil was inclined, with less soil towards the front, it would look even better in my opinion.
Thanks for the comments, yeah I see what you saying. Full disclosure the wood piece on the right isn't as deep as it is on the left so the higher substrate allows it to stay in that position. Probably could push some soil toward the back, but the tank is only 4" wide and the piece takes up around 3" so not a lot there to play with.

Like any other scape will be fine-tuning as I go along.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
from the first picture I thought the inlet/outlet were drilled from the bottom/back.would be awesome if it was fully plumbed from the outside and leave the rim just open like that.

Looks good!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from the first picture I thought the inlet/outlet were drilled from the bottom/back.would be awesome if it was fully plumbed from the outside and leave the rim just open like that.

Looks good!

Thanks, I would have to do a much bigger version to plumb it, this tank is only 1.5 Gallons and has a 4" depth

·
snails are your friend
3,086 Posts
Didn't realize it was so tiny, you've done a great job! That's not a nano, that's a pico! Very cool tank, love the layout, and the substrate depth makes sense now that I see the scale.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't realize it was so tiny, you've done a great job! That's not a nano, that's a pico! Very cool tank, love the layout, and the substrate depth makes sense now that I see the scale.
Thank you and your right it is more a pico, I guess anything less than 3G is a pico? I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. I always heard the pico term more on the reef side so wasn't sure if it was well know here on planted so went with the nano description.

·
snails are your friend
3,086 Posts
I'm not sure what the rule is or if there even is one, I posted my 10 gallon Dennerle tanks under nano tanks, and this is 15% the size. These Mr Aqua rimless tanks are very neat designs. Curious to see how you'll like maintaining this one with such a narrow space between front and back glass. I guess if a hand can get in there easily it should be fine, but hardscape would get very interesting. You seem to have found the perfect piece of spiderwood for it.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure what the rule is or if there even is one, I posted my 10 gallon Dennerle tanks under nano tanks, and this is 15% the size. These Mr Aqua rimless tanks are very neat designs. Curious to see how you'll like maintaining this one with such a narrow space between front and back glass. I guess if a hand can get in there easily it should be fine, but hardscape would get very interesting. You seem to have found the perfect piece of spiderwood for it.
I guess anything larger than a 10 probably wouldn't be nano size. This tank has similar proportions to my 3 foot rimless, I liked it so that's why I ended up with the 3 footer, I actually had this one first. There's just enough space in front/beyond the spiderwood to get some filter floss in there to clean the glass if needed. Your right about the wood, that was a big reason I started it up. I thought it was a good piece for the tank (minus a few branches I cut off.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not really! It still looks like a larger tank in the background! Maybe due to the shaded area between the can and tank...well done!

Doug

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this looks fantastic! such a cool little tank, i love it!
Thank you!

Not really! It still looks like a larger tank in the background! Maybe due to the shaded area between the can and tank...well done!

Doug

LOL, my bad and your absolutely right. You can't tell the distance between the Guinness and the tank even though it's butted right up against it

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everything going along nicely. I see new leaves on the buce, parva, pellia and of course the moss. I actually added some dwarf hairgrass (one of the taller varieties) beyond the wood. There is a small space that I think it might grow in, so want to see what that looks like.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts