The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I traded my little brother my 5.5G setup for this 1.5G acrylic cube. It has a very weak LED light, which I will use as a moon light. Has a nifty little pull out drawer to store food and whatnot. Im not sure yet whether or not I should even bother using a filter on this tank. If I do I'll have to stuff some polyster pillow stuffing in the filter and crank the filter down to it's lowest setting.

I have some spare eco-complete and some rocks but, other than that Im not sure which direction Im going with this. I'd like to find some dwarf hairgrass and some sort of carpet plant. I guess if I have to I could always use some glosso from my 2.5G

Don't know if Im going to put any fish in this tank though. Might just make it a shrimp only tank. If I do go with only shrimp and I do biweekly water changes, or even weekly would I really need a filter?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay so I got i setup and I ended up using the cheapo little filter it came with. Honestly I highly doubt this filter really does anything but at least it gives some surface movement. I'll take some pics later but, haven't made up my mind if I like it or not. Might go searching later today for some dwarf hairgrass, usually a few LFSs will stock it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just setup this tank a week ago today. I took the LED lights off and bought a 27W daylight quad CF desk lamp and bought a Red Sea nano filter for it. I trimmed the cover to fit the filter as I didn't want the filter in the tank as it took up a lot of space and looked horrible. I also added a nano hydor heater that can be placed in the gravel or attached to the side. I put it in the gravel so all I have visible is the cord. I have more plants coming soon and I will post a pic for you if you like when they arrive. They should be here by the end of the week.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
hybrid,
i dont think i would go shrimp in the tank. they are very sensitive to water quality issues, and my experience has been they dont fare so well in the nano's. its a cool tank tho!

post some photos

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jubs- I would love to see some pics, I appreciate. Where did you get the red sea filter, and the heater? Im curious if I'd be able to find them locally or if I'd have to resort to online purchases. I was going to keep the LEDs on as a moonlight but, they take up so much room and block a lot of light from my desk lamp so I'll probably do what you did. I think Im just going to stay topless with this tank though so I the plastic top won't be much of an issue.

Chaznsc, no shrimp it is. Perhaps I could put a few rasboras in there though?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Rasboras would look slick in there. Cycle it before you do the shrimp, I still think you will lose them. By the way, is that your car or your boat? :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Uhh, looks like both to me!(see background)
I think i would do what jubs did.
I have 2 RCS in my redsea aquavase, they are doin fine.
I have a redsea version of the azoo palm filter on my 1 gallon, so i think a filter would be great for you. sweet peice of driftwood or some nice rocks are great hardscape ideas for this.

I have seen this tank at wal and petsmart, but never thought it would make a good nano, post pics, i wanna see it!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, Im sorry Chaznsc. I didn't mean "no shrimp it is" as in, im definitely doing shrimp. I meant it as in Im taking your advice and not going to get any. Sorry for the mixup, Im terrible at wording things.

The boat is the neighbor's across the street but, the car is mine.

This tank is $24ish at PetsMart and only $19 at wal-mart fyi, for anyone interested.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Last week the tank was $15 or something like that at Petco. I saw it for less the day after I bought it lol.

I found the heater and the filter both at Petco as well. I think I paid $13 for the filter and $12 for the heater I am not sure I can't find my receipt.

I have a mini glass diffuser coming anytime as the co2 is being injected into the filter intake right now. I used Soil Master Select charcoal for the substrate I have 3 pieces of petrified wood for the hard scape. Dwarf Sag., rather large about 30+ leafs Anubia nana "petite" and a inter grown java fern. Those will likely be sold soon, I don't think they are going to look right in the scape when its finished.

I just picked up a few Boraras maculatus aka Pygmy Rasboras tonight. I have a few Dwarf Puffers in there that are actually leaving them alone so far but they are not staying in the tank. I also have a zebra Nerite snail. I had two Brazilian Grass Shrimp in there till today when I saw one of them attack one of the puffers so I returned the shrimp and picked up the rasboras.

Near future plans are for my packages to arrive with some HC and dwarf hair grass grown together, as well as some glosso. I will be putting some cherry shrimp in as well but need to get the puffers out of there first.

I am hoping they puffers will last till next month living with the rasboras so I can take them to my club auction. But if they act up before then I'll have to figure something out as the rasboras are what I want in the tank.

I am dosing E.I. ferts as well as excel if you plan on using Greg Watson fertilizers let me know. I sat down and did all the math and have the mix and doses figured out for this size tank. Will have pics for you by the end of the week after the plants get here I may take some before for the change differences.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, that sucks because I don't think we have a petco anywhere around here. I'll have to check online about the red sea filter and that heater you have. I was going to order some greg watson ferts last week but, my card didn't work for the site so I'll have to find someone with a bonified credit card and give them some cash to order for me.

I too, am hoping to find some dwarf hairgrass and I would love to try HC but, I want to be a little more prepared before I go with HC. I could always use some glosso from my 2.5G to fill in the foreground.

As of right now all I have is eco-complete, excel, flourish, root tabs which I probably don't need, . . and that's about it. I gotta get working on building up a proper setup hehe.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Oh, Im sorry Chaznsc. I didn't mean "no shrimp it is" as in, im definitely doing shrimp. I meant it as in Im taking your advice and not going to get any. Sorry for the mixup, Im terrible at wording things.

The boat is the neighbor's across the street but, the car is mine.

This tank is $24ish at PetsMart and only $19 at wal-mart fyi, for anyone interested.
You dont owe me an apology......you might can make the CRS work! I have 3 or 4 in mine but have lost several. Will post pics of my existing nano tonight.

Love the car.............AND the boat LOL

chaz

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It looks a little better in person mainly because of the light coming from the window screwed up the picture, . . .well that and my camera is about useless for anything inside. I trimmed the rotala about half the length that it was but, hopefully that was enough. Also got some dwarf hairgrass in the front and what I think is some kind of crypt, not sure haven't bothered to identify it.

I took out the rocks because there wasn't much room in there, even had to throw out a few stems of rotala.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am assuming that the window is screwing up how the lamp actually lights the tank. I also have mine near a window but I blocked off the light coming through the shades with a piece of cardboard till I figure something else out.

I am starting to get some diatoms on the walls.... gotta love soilmaster ! lol I fought it for a while when I set up my 10g with it too but it was expected. My LFS is getting a plant shipment in today and I am going to head over there tonight and see what they got in so I may have some thing new in there tonight.

What are you using for substrate ?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Looks good, but you should really top that baby off!
What watts is the bulb in there?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
20watt 6500K sprial CF

The rotala seems to be growing nicely. When I setup the tank the tops of it reached the middle of the tank. Now it seems that the rotala is breaking past 3/4 the way, and I've even added more water in the tank. It looks like there's a huge gap and that I should top it off but, that's actually a very small gap and if I fill it up anymore it's likely to spill when I reach to shut off my alarm in the morning.

Should I replant the rotala so that it's coming out from one corner instead of being straight across the back?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
nice, but i think the hairgrass may be too big for the tank foreground. It gets like 6" tall and will cover the anubias.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So that's what that plant is! LOL. Yeah if I need to then I can take it out and put it in with the rest of the hairgrass as a backround in the 2.5G.

Is the coloring of those three new leaves on the anubias bad? I figured they would turn green after they had unfolded but, they're still this dull olive color.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is the coloring of those three new leaves on the anubias bad? I figured they would turn green after they had unfolded but, they're still this dull olive color.

It looks like you put the rhizome ( the root looking thing that the leaves are growing out of ) under the substrate, that will cause it to rot and die and this would likely be the reason for the brown leaves. You need to pull up the rhizome and tie it to something or figure out a way to anchor it to the substrate some how. I usually use a rock or driftwood you can just use a small rock and put that under the substrate so its not visible if you don't want the rock visible.

Another trick you should try is cutting off those "dead" leaves and you can take a knife or razor and just cut little shallow cuts into the rhizome and it will stimulate the rhizome to grow new leaves. I have done with many of my anubias and have had great results my petites are smaller that a golf ball and have at least 30 leaves on them. Give it a try and see what happens, not that its not going to happen overnight but it will start growing new growth in a week or two in most cases. But definitely get that rhizome out from under the substrate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts