The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
In my experience no difference between zero and one dKH.

I've been running zero for about a year now. No issues at all with pH fluctuations.

As to pH controller, I use one and wouldn't be without it. But it's always a matter of debate. Put it this way, you don't "need" one but it sure is nice to have.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience no difference between zero and one dKH.

I've been running zero for about a year now. No issues at all with pH fluctuations.

As to pH controller, I use one and wouldn't be without it. But it's always a matter of debate. Put it this way, you don't "need" one but it sure is nice to have.
Thank you Greggz

What would be your recommendation for a controller?

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Thank you Greggz

What would be your recommendation for a controller?
There's two that most people use, Milwaukee and American Pinpoint Marine.

The Milwaukee is cheaper. But it only goes to 0.5 readings while the APM goes to 0.1. And the Milwaukee's lowest set point is 5.5......not low enough for zero dKH water. The APM can go down to 4.0 pH. For reference, mine is set for a drop to 4.85.

The APM probe also seems to be of better quality, as it seems to have a longer life span. My last one went four years and still calibrated.

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's two that most people use, Milwaukee and American Pinpoint Marine.

The Milwaukee is cheaper. But it only goes to 0.5 readings while the APM goes to 0.1. And the Milwaukee's lowest set point is 5.5......not low enough for zero dKH water. The APM can go down to 4.0 pH. For reference, mine is set for a drop to 4.85.

The APM probe also seems to be of better quality, as it seems to have a longer life span. My last one went four years and still calibrated.

Hope that helps.
Very much, thank you.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tomorrow is water change day, and I plan to start moving to 0KH. I just want to make sure I'm clear on one principal, and hopefully I understand this correctly.

If I'm at 30ppm CO2 at 1.5dKH, I would still be at 30ppm CO2 at 0dKH? Correct? The ppm is not changed by dKH, but rather a value to measure CO2ppm? So, essentially, I would not have to adjust CO2?

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Tomorrow is water change day, and I plan to start moving to 0KH. I just want to make sure I'm clear on one principal, and hopefully I understand this correctly.

If I'm at 30ppm CO2 at 1.5dKH, I would still be at 30ppm CO2 at 0dKH? Correct? The ppm is not changed by dKH, but rather a value to measure CO2ppm? So, essentially, I would not have to adjust CO2?
30 ppm CO2 is an irrelevant measure. No one knows their true CO2 ppm without expensive test equipment. The CO2 chart/calculator would indicate my ppm is about 100. Is it really? I highly doubt it. Remember there are other forces affecting pH besides CO2.

But in general, if you are relying on flow rate to adjust CO2, you should not need to make any change going from 1.5 dKH to zero dKH.

The best method is to adjust using pH drop from a fully degassed sample. Some say shoot for a one point drop, but most successful tanks I follow are more about 1.2 to 1.5 pH drop.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
30 ppm CO2 is an irrelevant measure. No one knows their true CO2 ppm without expensive test equipment. The CO2 chart/calculator would indicate my ppm is about 100. Is it really? I highly doubt it. Remember there are other forces affecting pH besides CO2.

But in general, if you are relying on flow rate to adjust CO2, you should not need to make any change going from 1.5 dKH to zero dKH.

The best method is to adjust using pH drop from a fully degassed sample. Some say shoot for a one point drop, but most successful tanks I follow are more about 1.2 to 1.5 pH drop.
Okay, perfect. Thanks you again Greggz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.