The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very glad to join this wonderful site! I’ve had tropical fish since I was a kid in the 70’s. I thought I was time for a change and have started to add shrimp. I’m finding out there are so many other things to consider and juggle than an only-fish hobbyist needs to. Then there’s growing plants for the little critters! I stumbled across this site and so happy to read the trials and tribulations others have been through and to learn how to tackle this new adventure!

For now, I’d like to see how successful I am at keeping them and then maybe breed, when I no longer have fish. Currently, two small corys, three white clouds and four ember tetras, and three nerites. I’ve added an Amano, four ghosts, and three RCS. Probably a lot in my 5-gal Fluval Chi without their filter. Got a HOB filter and a Fluval Nano light for plants (Anubis, java fern, a bunch of dwarf saggitaria, and staurogyne reopens. BTW, how do I keep them from floating out of soil!? The corys not helpful!

· snails are your friend
3,092 Posts
Welcome aboard, the shrimp side of this hobby is very fun! What substrate are you using/having trouble with keeping plants down? Sometimes a small aquarium safe rock is all you need if it's a light aqua soil. Those can be difficult to get things planted in until root systems take hold.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the front part using Fluval Shrimp Stratum. The back, which is tiered, is gravel. Before the shrimp, I just had fish and two dwarf frogs (which died), and then the shrimp. Reading up, I learned I should have more plants. At the time, I only had a Java fern and anubus, and wanted to add some ground cover, so I replaced the small pebbled in the lower, front area with the stratum, which was the least disruption to the tank, and the cloudiness it created cleared in a matter of hours. This is where the S. repens are. I tried the sag in the gravel in back, and they are holding. They should probably be in the stratum. One sprig that I died actually had roots growing out, so I thought it best to leave them alone.
An update since I did my initial post - the S. repens have lost almost all the leaves in the 48 hrs I was gone for Thanksgiving. I had added a bit of Thrive, but otherwise, there was nothing that would have changed the water parameters so much that they'd freak out and do this, though the week before, I added red-root floaters. Leaves were floating all over making a mess. I'm just leaving them there looking very bare expect the crowns, but now a few days later, they are starting to melt on a few and the shrimp are munching on them. ARGGGG!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.