The Planted Tank Forum banner

Your Favorite Tank Size

2K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  CmLaracy 
#1 ·
I wanted to see what size tanks are your favorites and why. And on the flip side of that what size you hate and why.

I do not like corner tanks at all. They are very hard to layout. You have tons of space in the center but the sides have no space to work with. Right now all I have set-up is a corner tank and it is driving me nuts.

I have to say my favorite size has to be 40g breeders. They are just long enough to look large but are not to huge. And the footprint of the tank is great- 36x18 awesome. You have enough depth to get a good looking layout with tons of layers.

Loren

#3 ·
I say 40 gallon. IME, with all other things being equal, my fish and plants have always done the best in my 40 gallon, even when the 40 gallon was greatly overstocked. I don't know why this is, this size just seems to work best for me. If I were setting up another 40 gallon planted show tank, I would not go less than 40 gallon.

#4 ·
210 gallon.

Large enough for almost anything, including large schools of fish, large fish, etc. Options are endless.

Downside - Have to to a WC to do any maintenance or what not. And don't forget the step stool and removing the shirt. Also, catching a single fish (or any fish for that matter) is next to impossible. The cost of lights, filter, etc is more $ too.

#5 ·
100-200g because you could put almost anything you wanted in there and pimp your tank with what you have! :biggrin:

#7 ·
I'm gonna have to go with 75, even though I've never owned one. I think the 55 is too narrow, and the 90 is too tall (I have to put my armpit in the water to reach the bottom).

I suspect I'd like the 40B too, but never worked with anything similar enough.

I actually like the proportions of 10s too, but being small there are more limitations and it's harder to find a wide range of light choices.

#14 ·
I have a 55g and I always find myself wishing it was a 75g just for more foot print. The 40b I had was awesome. I also like my 28 bow front. It has a nice footprint.

There is a 4'x4'x2' cube at the pet shop that I have to say looks like it would be pretty cool to own.

#15 ·
For plants I like my 10 gallon. So much easier to tend to the plants when you can reach them.
For fish I like my 75 gallon any bigger and it would probable fall threw my raised floor. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.