The Planted Tank Forum banner

Power Outage

415 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ColeMan 
#1 ·
Around 11 o'clock this evening I heard a loud explosion which was immediately followed by power loss. I walked down the street with some other neighbors and realized a transformer was on fire, no big deal, we just called the fire department. By the time they got there it had pretty much burned itself out. Regardless, they drove around the block a few times to make sure there weren't any other potentially hazardous areas and, on there third trip around, stopped and told me they had found the cause of our loss of power: an owl had lighted on the transformer, and the explosion I heard, well, needless to say it wasn't good. They spotlighted him, still hanging precariously, limp, dead, ruffled feathers and all. My power just came back on.

My tanks is doing just fine, the temp fluctuated by about .2 degrees or so, but I think things will be okay. When the power came back on I turned the moonlights (LED's) on over the tank and noticed my water was uber-cloudy, no doubt a result my aerating the water (simply pouring a cup of water into the tank over and over and over and over and over again a few times an hour) combined with a complete lack of flow. Crystal clear now. After things got back to normal (and during the interim for that matter) the shrimp were incredibly active, which was interesting to watch. My cories didn't even wake up for the ordeal. And, funny enough, I have a BN pleco that's just about as social as any fish can be, he's always out and about. Anyway, he too seemed completely unimpressed by the lack of power, and didn't even bother to move from the piece of driftwood on which he was resting.

Jeesh. What a day. Gotta get up and have another one (day that is) in about 4 hours...good grief.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.