The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lowering PH & Hardness with leaf mold.

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  quilaho 
#1 ·
I have really hard water and with a high ph and am seeking an extreme method of lowering it. I am trying peat but it does not seem to make a difference on my water. Reading from Kasselman's book, she mentions using Beech Leaf Mold for growing cryptocorynes. From what I hear, Leaf Molds are acidic, with Beech being one of the strongest. A desperate situation it might be, but I might just try using it to lower ph & hardness.

Now, has anyone ever expiremented with this stuff? Can it be used just like peat? A warning I read, (probably Kasselmann's book) mentions that it can lower the ph of water to 4.

#4 ·
My water is pretty extreme, pH=8.2, KH & GH=20, but I have absolutely no problem keeping all types of fish. Some report many plants do better in hard rather than soft water. When I did mess with my parameters b/c of a naive thought that the fish would do better, half the tank was wiped out.

Unless your trying to breed, I don't see why. The fish appreciate stability far more.

#5 ·
Keeping Chocolate Gouramis and raising softwater Crypts is my goal. Right now, my ph is around 8 and I do not know for hardness. My assumption for high is from the LFS who claims it goes passed his charts. I cannot find a definite number, but I have found an article that has Alberta listed between 98-323. There is another article I found with a man from Calgary(2hours away) who says that it clogs coffee makers!
http://experts.about.com/q/2463/3040926.htm

I do not think my problem is that bad, atleast I have never checked. But I digress, I have gotten really interested into Cryptocorynes and have learned that some are quite difficult to maintain in an aquarium. My plan is just have a bin next my aquarium with the Crypts in it, which will hopefully have low ph and little hardness. I am also considering Chocolate Gouramis if I am able to drop everything enough.

#6 ·
Your best bet is to purchase a GH and KH test kit. Should be rather cheap.
If that is not an option your LFS should test your water for you. Just bring some water in. Most fish stores I have been to will do it.

Say you decided to start lowering it you won't know how low you are without testing it from the start or as you do it. You need a starting point so you can make adjustments as needed.

#8 ·
Rex Grigg said:
If you have your heart set on Chocolates then you need to get a RO unit.
this is what i've been doing in preparation for keeping rams. 3:1 ro:tap mix. my water is like yours and this mix gives me a ph = 7.2, kh = 4, gh = 3. i'm then using co2 to bring the ph down to ~6.8.

this is the best way if found to get the conditions i want and have them be stable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.