The Planted Tank Forum banner

Veggie hook.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  umdterps96 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey figured I'd post my veggie hook I use to feed zucchini to my ottos. It's cheap, and works well, keeps the veggie off the glass mostly so snails have a harder time getting to it (harder, not impossible though lol).

Anyhow here it is.

Tools you'll need, 2 pairs of pliers, water, map gas or propane gas, you could maybe even use a gas stove to do this. Eyewear Audio equipment Liquid Fluid Wood

What the hook looks like before Product Blue Glass Lighting Yellow

Take the metal hook off the suction cup and grip it in your pliers Organism Nature Jewellery Wood Product

Heat the metal hook up make sure the flame isn't going to burn anything you want to keep! Darn kids, didn't put the paper towels on the holder after it's empty, just seen that in this pic, annoys me to no end!
Wood Night Lighting Architecture Floor

Heat the hook until it's a nice orange/red color and take your second pair of pliers and start bending it. Sorry I don't have a pic of that part but I've only got 2 hands! Reheat it if it gets difficult to bend, keep going till you have the shape you want.

After you have it in the shape you want, cool it with water. Make sure you get your pliers also, they'll be heated up from the flame and you don't want to burn your countertop or your fingers. Fluid Plumbing fixture Brown Liquid Bathroom sink

Next replace the hook on the suction cup. You can simply pinch it back on, or if you don't have the strength you can use your pliers. Electronic device Wood Finger Organism Floor
Audio equipment Wood Product Finger Yellow

As you can see you don't want to bend it too far, otherwise you won't be able to slip the zucchini on, leave a small gap between the rubber nipple the hook clips onto and the hook. Audio equipment Cup Wood Serveware Drinkware

That's it, total cost for me around 2 bucks for the hooks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Kids learn fast. That is why they will use all the paper towels except the last one!

At least it wasn't the TP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.