The Planted Tank Forum banner

Why is it so impossible to open a bottle of Flourish Excel?

9K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  jreich 
#1 ·
This annoys me so much. That "push down and turn" bottle cap is SO frustrating. Sometimes it takes me 10 minutes and a hurting hand just to open the bottle because it refuses to open for my first 100 tries, then one time it just works. I hate this bottle. Anything that takes more than 1 minute to open really pisses me off. Ugh.

#4 ·
Just find a similar bottle the same ml size and of course a better cap. Then just pour the amount of Excel you have into the other bottle. I use a squeeze bottle used for mustard, etc. It's a lot easier with those. Be sure to find one with a nice medium hole on top that don't add pressure when squeezing.

#7 ·
I've seen both varieties ;)

I am curious why they want child proof caps on excel, but not their other products...

#9 ·
Then why is it I have seen it sold with regular old twist off caps as well? Was that some antique bottle I bought by mistake? :icon_lol:

And I would think some of the other seachem products would also be deadly toxic...

But Excel smells really good... so I could see a kid thinkin about takin the plunge...

#10 ·
Don't be huffing the excel. The active ingredient in excel causes occupational asthma due to the vapors. Albeit this is usually because it is in aeresolized spray, but I wouldn't screw around with it.

The older bottles do not have child lock lids, which means they are likely much less effective at this point as excel breaks down over time.

Keep this crap out of reach of your kids.

#14 ·
When you one day look in the mirror and see horns sprouting in front of your ears, and blue streaks across your forehead, plus pure white hair, don't say we didn't warn you that Excel is toxic.:icon_mrgr

Seriously, just because something has never given you a problem is not a reason to doubt the warnings about it. Excel is in a different category than anything else Seachem sells for planted tanks, as far as potential toxicity is concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.