The Planted Tank Forum banner

Eco complete and New Mexico Sand

866 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  malkore 
#1 ·
I've read the sand in the Pacific N.W. is too fine for planted aquaria ... Thanks Rex. Wondering if I can add some sand from the S.W. to Eco complete as I'm flying to Sante Fe for a vacation in 3 weeks? I was thinking of adding one suitcase of sand (50lbs) to about 120 lbs of Eco complete for my new 90 gal. Does anyone know if Eco is of similar size, or would it all settle on the bottom. I've never seen Eco in person - the LFS only sells flourite. I could pick up some sand from the BORG while in Albuquerque. TIA - hasta luego, baby...

#2 ·
The grain size of the Eco-Complete varies. But most any sand is going to end up under the Eco. Even the New Mexico sand. If you want something to mix with it then get the Eco first and then take a sample down to the local Industrial Supply House and see what they have. I can get really decent sized sand at LaGrande here in Portland. I have some mixed with the Flourite.

The bad thing about mixing sand with Eco is it's going to break up the nice dark color of the Eco. Also 50 lbs of sand in a 90 is a very thin layer. Maybe an inch deep at best.

#3 ·
Well, I suppose thats good news for baggage handlers and my back. Thanks. bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.