The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Complete Beginner 10 Gallon (updated Feb 20, 2017)
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Jerad Wilson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercrayfish View Post
The light is strong, with less plant mass you won't be able to fight it. Get some very fast growing plants. Don't trim the plants unless its dying let it go wild.

If possible raise the fixtures rather than resting over the lids. Also ramp down the photoperiod to 6-7 hours. With 3 hours of siesta in between (3hrs - ON; 3hrs OFF; 3hrs ON)

My first tank was a 10 gallon with same lights but without lid and 3" raised from the top. I had a bit more plants to begin with never ran into algae problem.

I happened to inherit Coral life digital power centers which was like 2 years old. Its doing its job. Bit tricky to setup without instruction booklet.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to raise it higher, hopefully that will help. I'll also try and get some more plants, that might help. I would time it, but the timers won't work right lol. I'll have to pick up some new ones.

Bump: I trimmed them because the stem part was dying on some. Hopefully they'll grow better now.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome