The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Complete Beginner 10 Gallon (updated Feb 20, 2017)
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Jerad Wilson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Complete Beginner 10 Gallon (updated Feb 20, 2017)

We all have to start somewhere.

I started out with a 38 gallon aquarium starting into the hobby. Unfortunately while setting up the hardscape a large rock rolled down a small slope and chipped the aquarium. I didn't believe it to be safe anymore, so I closed up shop and decided to mope around all winter. Well it's almost spring and I decided to get back into it. I have this old 10 gallon tank still, and a very low budget. I aquired a couple plants from a local pet store last fall in exchange for the fish formerly in my 38 gallon.

I was still stuck with a crayfish, 3 bags of eco earth (I already bought it before I did some research, I should have gone with black diamond sand and root tabs), 3 poor plants (Idk what type looks like 2 are anubias) and mystery snail. They wrecked havoc on the 3 plants in my small 10 gallon tank. Finally here in mid february it's time for me to step in. I moved the crayfish and mystery snail into a plastic tub with a heater and decided to get to work.

I first spent a good half hour scraping the algea off the tank walls using a rasor blade. I still couldn't get off all the algea on the silicone, so that's kind of a bummer. I then did several water changes and went out and bought a couple of cheap CFL's. As I mentioned before I'm broke, so I don't have money for $60 finnex lights or something similar if they aren't nessesary. Hopefully the CFL's will do the trick. I have a diy c02 kit ordered from amazon. I don't want to limit myself to a low tech tank even with a small budget.

I want this tank to have some nice stem plants in back. I was thinking some Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia in one corner and some other quick growers to fill up some other space. I love crypts, so for the midground I want some crypts and an anubia or two. For the forground I was thinking hairgrass, but I'm open to suggestions.

Unfortunately I have a lot of algea growth on the plants. If they recover, how would I fix that? Hopefully c02 will help.

Here are some pics, be as brutally truthful as you please. I could use constructive critisism. Thanks!

Bump: Forgot to include the equipment lol

Filter: AquaClear 20

Heater: ViaAqua 50-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat

Substrate: EcoEarth

Lighting: 13 Watt CFL's 6500K

C02: diy c02 coming soon. For now excel.

Ferts: IDK yet. If someone could give me some options, that would be great. I heard things about seachem flourish however.

Current picture of tank

Last edited by Jerad Wilson; 02-22-2017 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Updated

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome