The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 32g Tropical Jungle "Cube"
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
botanicalT
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
32g Tropical Jungle "Cube"

Hi friends,

I've done nano tanks in the past, but am moving into creating my first "aquascape." I'm an artist and also work at a botanical garden during the day, so I'm hoping some of my horticultural and creative skills on land translate to underwater! My tank is a "cube" in that it is abnormally deep for most tanks; the dimensions are 24x18x18, so I have it on a sturdy, old nightstand/table with a supporting board over the top.

I want to create something lush, tropical, with pops of color. I love texture as well, so I've ordered plants with a variety of leaf shapes and patterns. I decided to go in the direction of a "Jungle" style of aquascaping, as I am new to the hobby as well as have a fairly demanding schedule, so I need something that can take a little error here and there. Plus, I love the chaos the jungle tanks have. I did a fast watercolor-pencil sketch of what I'm thinking (below).

Here are two tanks in particular which I draw inspiration from (shout out to Fishly for finding the build link from a photo I saw on Pinterest!):

How to set up an underwater jungle aquarium ? Practical Fishkeeping Magazine
Distant Hollow: A dramatic aquascape by Exotic Aquatics ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Here's my set up:

AQUARIUM- Mr. Aqua 32 gal Rimless/Frameless Tank (24x18x18)

LIGHTING- Current Satellite Freshwater LED+

FILTRATION- Penn-Plax Cascade 500

CO2- DIY Generator from Amazon (using yeast and sugar)

PLANTS: (Will provide list and photos next time I post)

I just placed an order through Aquariumplants.com, so I am looking forward to getting those by Thursday. For now, I am setting up my CO2 generator, lighting, and filter as well as planning placement of substrate and driftwood. The wood has been soaking in water about 2 weeks, so they should sink when I finally put them in the tank. I have a few photos to share... I dumped in a 20lb bag of regular substrate, but will add 3 more of my Eco Complete once the plants arrive. So note that this is not all the substate!! Also, I have left the plastic wrap on the glass until I plant in order to keep it clean. I have two possible lay outs of the wood, but am option to different arrangements if people have suggestions.I also am unsure of what fish to use when the time comes; I was thinking a school of neon tetras, but I'm open.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4476.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	705770  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4469.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	705778