The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Someoldguy's pile of rocks
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
someoldguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Someoldguy's pile of rocks

So , around 15 years ago I converted a 65 gallon tank into a ‘river system/paludarium sorta thing .

Worked well enough that I kept it going until this spring when the decision was made to turn it into a display tank . Somewhat like ‘TheGreenMachine’’s Altitude . Spring turns into summer turns into fall and finally I disassemble the now terribly overgrown mess .

Once I’d pulled it apart and scraped most of the silicone off , I found that the areas which had water flow were etched , or lightly frosted .

The glass was actually damaged , it wasn’t any kind of biological film , or mineral deposition . Tried to remove it with , salt paste , vinegar , ammonia , scraping with razor blade , Ajax , polishing compound , 3200 grit wet sandpaper , steel wool . No luck . So out on the curb . And on to plan B ; a 45 I had gotten for a project that kept being put off . Same width , but shallower front to back . It’ll fit just fine on the old stand , but needs some plywood under it and a shelf in back to hold things that would otherwise fall behind the tank and never be seen again .

Probably won’t be until after Christmas , or maybe New Year’s , before I really get rolling on this thing . Just too much Holiday nonsense getting in the way .

Last edited by someoldguy; 12-21-2016 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Images inserted into Word document won't import

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome