So , around 15 years ago I converted a 65 gallon tank into a ‘river system/paludarium sorta thing .
Worked well enough that I kept it going until this spring when the decision was made to turn it into a display tank . Somewhat like ‘TheGreenMachine’’s Altitude . Spring turns into summer turns into fall and finally I disassemble the now terribly overgrown mess .
Once I’d pulled it apart and scraped most of the silicone off , I found that the areas which had water flow were etched , or lightly frosted .
The glass was actually damaged , it wasn’t any kind of biological film , or mineral deposition . Tried to remove it with , salt paste , vinegar , ammonia , scraping with razor blade , Ajax , polishing compound , 3200 grit wet sandpaper , steel wool . No luck . So out on the curb . And on to plan B ; a 45 I had gotten for a project that kept being put off . Same width , but shallower front to back . It’ll fit just fine on the old stand , but needs some plywood under it and a shelf in back to hold things that would otherwise fall behind the tank and never be seen again .
Probably won’t be until after Christmas , or maybe New Year’s , before I really get rolling on this thing . Just too much Holiday nonsense getting in the way .