The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - could really use help with algae and monte carlo
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
dindinnn2

PTrader: (0/0%)
could really use help with algae and monte carlo

Hi everyone,

I set up a nano tank, my first planted aquarium, about 3 months ago and have been dealing with algae ever since. I have a carpet of Monte Carlo growing (very slowly for some reason) and from a very early stage have been trying to rid the algae in the tank and as soon as I think its on its way out it spreads like wildfire. I have a large amount of fuzzy green algae on the carpet, hair algae growing in the back around the rock, and algae grows on the glass pretty quickly.

The monte carlo also hasn't really grown that much lately. I tried trimming it to see if I could get rid of the algae that way but I am worried that it isn't really growing back or spreading much. For a 3 month old tank I feel like the monte carlo should be spread and grown way more. I also have a little bit of DHG scattered around and am not sure its spreading at all. Most of the monte carlo is brown and I am not sure it is growing:/.

I have ada aqua soil, Co2 injected about 1 bubble every 2 seconds, 4 small fish, a snail and used to have amanos but they were tearing out my carpet so I took them out. I change the water every 4 days and siphon out as much algae as possible. I use RO water, have an LED light fixture (high lights) that run along with the co2 for about 7 hours. I drop one drop of ADA green gain every day to promote more growth, not sure if its helping or not. I also just dosed algae control because I took the amano shrimp out and am waiting results on that. Nothing else. Have been trying to get rid of this algae and promote my carpet for a while. Ill post several pictures starting from early stages.

The ones at the top are the most recent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4889.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	671786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4887.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	671794