The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 180g hardware/ stocking list suggestions
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:18 AM
Freemananana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
"Two reactors (if these not used in freshwater much, this is basically canister you fill with something and push water through it I use it currently with activated carbon, will probably continue with that)."

I'd stop that for sure. Active carbon in a planted tank isn't my cup of tea!

Your sump can easily be used for freshwater. Most commonly, foam is used for mechanical filtration but filter socks work fine if you are up to the cleaning regiment. Bio media is usually pretty easy. General pumice works very well! Chemical filtration isn't popular in planted tanks these days.

The dosers will come in handy later if you go with a high tech setup with CO2 and regular dosing. Just my opinion, but I'd hang on to them just in case.

Lighting is tricky. I'm a fan of shop lights and CFLs. I think you learn a lot with a basic, cheap, setup. Flood LEDs have very limited data so you are likely going to be on your own there.

Black diamond blasting sand is my favorite and your local tractor supply carries 50 lb bags for $8 or so. It is intert and black, nothing to complain about!

Fish is easy for me, Denison Barbs. They are amazing fish and you can fit a good full grown school in the tank. They aren't expensive, but not cheap. They aren't very common in the hobby because they require larger tanks. Definitely stay away from Koi. Within a year, they will need to be relocated and they will eat all of your plants anyway. From a guy who did a few months of pond research, koi isn't optimal!

Just a heads up, but I live right around the corner. Feel free to hit me up! I'd love to do some work with local folks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome