View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 02:26 AM
Pattern8
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi sfshrimp,

You can certainly go with a canister filter with a sponge filter on the intake; but small canister filters are sort of expensive and don't usually have a lot of media so they need to be cleaned often. For my 10 gallon I use a Aquaclear 20, they typically sell for about $25 new. They do about 100gph and are adjustable to slower rates if needed.

I like them for five reasons:
1) The media is stacked horizontally which allows it to hold DIY CO2 bubbles fed into the intake;
2) I use two sponges for maximum bio-filtration
3) Most parts including intakes, impellers, shafts, along with media are available at most LFS
4) US based customer service with a toll free number to call and I've used it a few times and it works!
5) A lifetime warranty

And for shrimps don't forget a sponge on the input tube strainer.

10 gallon with Aquaclear 20 HOB filter

I have to say that I am incredibly pleased with my aqua clear filters. Technically they're Fluval Edge but really just aqua clear rebranded. I've had them up and running for almost 7 years. I just had to replace a $4,000 fridge that didn't last as long. I've had almost no problem with them and they're super quiet.

One question for Seattle aquarist: if you are attempting maximum bio filtration why double up on the sponge filter media instead of the ceramic node packs? Do you believe the sponges facultate the beneficial bacteria better than the ceramic?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome