The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Saturday Maintenance 11-21-2020)
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Greggz
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
So here's what I do for lighting, but like everything else, subject to change.

(2) Aruba Sun Retrofit Fixtures (4x54W T5HO)
SMD 3528 Waterproof 300 LED’s on Dimmer
LED Moonlights
All mounted inside of canopy about 30" from substrate.

When I switched over to higher tech, I spent hours researching LED lighting. The more I looked, the more I felt it would be a lot of work and expense to set it up exactly as I wanted. Right or wrong, my feeling is that before long every LED light will be completely computer wifi programmable, allowing for easy custom color, intensity, durations, etc. etc. I know there are some DIY solutions, but as I read them my head began spinning so fast I ended up just sticking with what I know, T5HO.

Since I limit my full "intense" lighting duration, I came up with a solution I refer to as “viewing” lights. Basically I bought some Waterproof LED strips, and attached them to the housing of the T5HO lights. I put two strips on each, so 4 thin strips of LED total. I power them with a dimmable power supply, so the intensity is pretty low. I also added a strip of LED moon lights, so my schedule goes light this.

6:30 AM LED Moon Lights
9:00 AM LED Viewing Lights on
11:00 AM 2 T5HO Bulbs on
12:00PM the other T5HO bulbs come on, full intensity
7:00PM 2 T5HO bulbs off
8:00PM the other two T5HO bulbs turn off,
10:00PM LED Viewing lights off
10:00PM LED Moon Lights

Now I have adjusted this slightly many times already, which leads me back to going full LED. It seems it should be easy to set up something like this with LED and tweak it as necessary. Maybe it’s out there, but I couldn’t find it. If not, is it coming soon?

Here's a terrible pic of one of my fixtures. One 10k bulb, one red color plant bulb, two LED SMD strips, and you can see the unlit moonlight strip right in the middle. The second picture is my "automated control system". Would love to replace this whole mess some day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160322_175734 (Large).jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	609481  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160322_175807 (Large).jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	609489  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome