The Planted Tank Forum banner

LONG ISLAND: Nassau County, Suffolk County

6K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  jemmus 
#1 ·
Heyy guys! New to this forum...I figured I'd make a page for the long island area considering I haven't found any. I thought it would be cool to meet other locals and talk fish, plants, accesories, events/conventions, LFS's, etc. I'm personally working on making a discus tank and thought I could meet some breeders and people that sell plants. Feel free to join!! [emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I'll jump on the wagon, I'm always looking for access to some nice plants, I haven't yet found a LFS that really wowed me with plant selection. The couple near me have really common plants like Swords or Java fern..or non aquatic plants like "purple waffle"

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Caribbean Blue Aquatics in Bay Shore is a pretty big fish store. Wide selection of shrimp and various tanks. I also recommend Pets Warehouse in Carle Place. That place is huuuuuuge. Felt like a neverending store! Both probably way better than the average store and def way better than the big box stores like Petco and PetSmart.

#10 ·
Pets Warehouse in Copiague has a nice selection of plants.

Both great stores as is the pets warehouse in copiague and also BTJs Jungle in Bay Shore (think its bayshore anyway....on the south service rd to sunrise hwy a bit west of caribean blue).
@Glass.Cloud: where are you located and what are your plans for a discus tank? Not too many local breeders left but there is plenty of good info (to include people selling fish) over on the simplydiscus.com forums. I've picked up some juvenile discus from a guy out in Ridge a while back; but last I heard his breeding program hit a brick wall and he didnt have much to offer. The for sale forums on simply will often have local people selling off their stock of high quality stuff at decent prices though. I'd recommend that over purchasing discus from any of the LFS on or near the island!

Reactions: Glass.Cloud
#9 ·
Just to let you know I'm very new to plants...every time I've bought them they always seem to melt and never recuperate...probably bc I've never added nutes. Any one have any recommendations for basic nutes to have for success or maybe diy version. Not trying to break the bank here cuz i know this can get expensive

#11 ·
Depending on your lighting and whether you're adding co2 and the type of plants you want, there are several ways you could do that. What I would do is look through here and read about low tech setups and high tech setups, both can result in beautiful tanks, low tech just grows much slower. I have a high tech tank and use the "Estimative Index" or EI method of fertilization which I believe is the easiest method, you basically add more nutrients than your plants need which allows them to grow very fast and out compete the algae for food, but I also have moderate lighting and a bottle of co2 injecting into the tank. As for the types of ferts, no matter what method you end up using do diy, you can get potassium nitrate, pure KNO3, at home depot as "spectra brand stump remover" for like 12 bucks, and monopotassium phosphate, KH2PO4, online from hydroponics websites or other planted tank sites for like 15 bucks for 3 lbs, these two ferts supply N, P, and K in sufficient quantities for all but the largest of tanks and are way more than you'll ever need, I took a few teaspoons of them and made solutions and haven't gone back to remake a solution for months I'll probably lose the ferts before I run out...okay I rambled a little, but do some research on which tank type you want and we can point you in the right direction

#23 ·
Having a large amount of plant mass isn't a necessity, it does help to out compete algae and reduce the amount of glass cleaning you need to do, you can have clear water without it, water changes and some gravel vacuuming can do wonders

#40 ·
Eyy happy easter everyone!!! I'm in the midst of breaking down my cichlid tank and I have this guy left! I'm looking to sell him or trade him for plants/accessories. Hes very healthy, 4 inches. Make me an offer if your interested! Stay safe and healthy!

Body of water Underwater Nature Organism Blue
Organism Yellow Vertebrate Photograph White

#42 ·
Welcome!!!

I just went trough this post, got me very curious, someone said that they are keeping discus for a while and listening to advise from LFS, very interesting.
Dropping a discus tank temperature below 80, very interesting, I wish you the best of luck.
As stated, there are limited plant selection for discus tanks.
The key here if there are discus in the tank - it is a discus tank.
Wish discus research is key!

If you are looking for plants, look for Gordon, he is on LI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.