Used 125 Price - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Nexgen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Used 125 Price

I am curious to see what others would consider a good price for a used 125? The reason for asking is I'm getting a 125 for free. It leaks and will need resealed, which I have done before, my 55 was resealed and I built my nano cube myself. I was considering reselling the tank after I reseal and leak check it, so I was wondering if the time and effort would be worth it. I would keep the tank but my basement is the only place I could put the tank, but it drops to 50F in the winter so its too cold for a planted tank.
Thanks, Brian

55g Low-Tech 40b High-Tech
9g Cube Low-Tech Fluval Spec III High-Tech
40b Low-Tech 72g Bowfront High-Tech
29g Low-Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

It's not too cold, get some white clouds of other child water fish and go collect some native plants, they should be able to tolerate the cold no problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
For the tank only? I would personally pay $70, but I got my 55g with a nice stand for $60, So I may be a bit off

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I always shoot for .50 to a $1 per gallon used. 125 is about where the rule of thumb breaks down, bigger tanks get more expensive quickly, used.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was thinking 100-150, because that's what I see 125s advertised for in my area. Whether they sell for that I don't know. Retail seems to be around 300, so I may pick it up. If anything I'll use it for glass for smaller rimless tanks.

29g Low-Tech
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is exactly why I buy my large tanks new. Nothing against your ability to reseal a tank, but it scares the crap out of me that people who don't have your skill can be doing the same thing. Just because it holds water at the moment of sale, doesn't mean the reseal job was done perfect. I acquired a 125 used, ran it in my garage for 6 months but still wasn't comfortable keeping it since it had clearly been resealed. I was lucky enough to find a snake collector who wanted it for his Python. I got 260$ CDN for it with a steel stand.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
This is exactly why I buy my large tanks new. Nothing against your ability to reseal a tank, but it scares the crap out of me that people who don't have your skill can be doing the same thing. Just because it holds water at the moment of sale, doesn't mean the reseal job was done perfect. I acquired a 125 used, ran it in my garage for 6 months but still wasn't comfortable keeping it since it had clearly been resealed. I was lucky enough to find a snake collector who wanted it for his Python. I got 260$ CDN for it with a steel stand.

Ya, I get what your saying. All my tanks that I have bought used were leaking when I bought them and I resealed them. Also when I reseal them I completely take the tank apart and meticulously clean the joints. Otherwise I buy new and even then I inspect every joint to make sure it looks good. I have seen some at the $1 per gallon sales that did not look safe.
I recently saw an article about a sw tank exploding at a university, and it was supposedly made by professionals. Yet the whole front pane of glass pealed off.
On another note, another idea that crossed my mind was a 6ft tall vivarium. Basically the 125 stood up on one end and a pane of glass siliconed, in what would be the bottom, to form the submerged portion and a removable acrylic upper portion for access. I have never seen anything that tall and want to build a vivarium.
Bushkill and Bushkill like this.

29g Low-Tech
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen View Post
Ya, I get what your saying. All my tanks that I have bought used were leaking when I bought them and I resealed them. Also when I reseal them I completely take the tank apart and meticulously clean the joints. Otherwise I buy new and even then I inspect every joint to make sure it looks good. I have seen some at the $1 per gallon sales that did not look safe.
I recently saw an article about a sw tank exploding at a university, and it was supposedly made by professionals. Yet the whole front pane of glass pealed off.
On another note, another idea that crossed my mind was a 6ft tall vivarium. Basically the 125 stood up on one end and a pane of glass siliconed, in what would be the bottom, to form the submerged portion and a removable acrylic upper portion for access. I have never seen anything that tall and want to build a vivarium.
That's a great idea, also takes up a smaller footprint.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
I am curious to see what others would consider a good price for a used 125? The reason for asking is I'm getting a 125 for free. It leaks and will need resealed, which I have done before, my 55 was resealed and I built my nano cube myself. I was considering reselling the tank after I reseal and leak check it, so I was wondering if the time and effort would be worth it. I would keep the tank but my basement is the only place I could put the tank, but it drops to 50F in the winter so its too cold for a planted tank.
Thanks, Brian
Ive got a 125 Gallon too! Except I only have the glass, I have to put together the panes. (Never done it before but I am up for the challenge) I am planning on keeping it the garage and will be collecting native plants and fish. I have always dreamed of having a local ecosystem tank, but thats just me. I'm actually going to hook this tank up to my old mini fridge I used in the dorms last year, to cool it even more.

60 G HighTech Custom Wall Tank (Planted)
55 G Low Tech Discus Tank (Planted)
40 G Low Tech Community Tank (Planted)
7 G Low Tech Nano Tank (Planted)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
wow you guys aim low $70 is a STEAL for a tank that size

I got my 75g with stand and sump for $300 and that was after months of craigslist hunting...

Keep in mind that tanks like 120 gallons have thicker glass than smaller tanks and generally cost more... That is why super large tanks even bigger than that are extremely expensive. Very thick glass. If I were in the market and found one for around $150 in good condition I would jump on it.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt7896 View Post
Ive got a 125 Gallon too! Except I only have the glass, I have to put together the panes. (Never done it before but I am up for the challenge) I am planning on keeping it the garage and will be collecting native plants and fish. I have always dreamed of having a local ecosystem tank, but thats just me. I'm actually going to hook this tank up to my old mini fridge I used in the dorms last year, to cool it even more.
If you have never done it before, then I would recommend starting with something smaller. And your going to need a lot of clamps, I clamp mine every foot. Also with a 6 foot tank your probably going to need 2 other people to help with aligning the glass. That front pane is probably 75 lbs.
I'm not trying to discourage you from doing it, but a 125 is a large tank to start with.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
That would make a freakin' AWESOME vivarium!

If I were in the market for a 125G tank only deal, and had no idea of your skills and abilities:

If I knew the tank was a leaker and was just re-sealed and NOT torn down and rebuilt, I would pass.

If I knew the tank was a leaker and was torn down and re-sealed I'd go $100 after a witnessing a 7-day leak test. I read this as a tank-only deal?

I fully understand everyone's thoughts on bigger tanks costing more and why, but there also needs to be considered the relatively limited market for 6 footers. Especially just a bare tank. Not to say there isn't demand; but people get squeemish about used tanks of those dimensions if they don't see it filled and running. In most cases they tend to be a big risk. And I fully acknowledge that new tanks of that size come with some risk as well. I bought a used 180G 7 years ago and specifically asked to see the tank running before it was torn down. Two trips, but worth it. Paid $200 for it, tank only.

It sure seems like you understand the process and do enough of this stuff. I suggest investing in a Toyo heavy glass cutter and make custom nanos as you were thinking. The Toyo cutter is one of truly coolest tolls I've ever owned.

But I still think the 6 foot tall vivarium would be just incredible.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode