Water Inside submersible Eheim water heater - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By shrimpNewbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Inside submersible Eheim water heater

I guess this mean a new heater is required here... Can't say this one had a very long life. Barely 18 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Planted Member

Yep its dead, good thing you caught it before something really bad happened..

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Should be under warrantee no?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
Should be under warrantee no?

Unfortunatelly I am not the kind of person that keeps receipts. On top of that, Eheim to me was synonym of "high reliability". Maybe I just got a lemon. Anyway, I replaced it with a Fluval non submersible. I think I am done with submersible ones.

|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
Unfortunatelly I am not the kind of person that keeps receipts. On top of that, Eheim to me was synonym of "high reliability". Maybe I just got a lemon. Anyway, I replaced it with a Fluval non submersible. I think I am done with submersible ones.
I still run my jagers like a non submersible, I like access to the dial and feel the same with trusting them. They're great and very reliable but can't be sure forever

Mariostg and Mariostg like this.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have heard that the Eheim heaters aren't as good as they used to be. Maybe they changed manufacturing facilities? My LFS stopped stocking Eheims because they noticed some QC issues.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
I don't know about Eheim, but Aqueon has a lifetime warranty on heaters, and you can get a broken heater replaced without a receipt if you send the broken one to them (or at least that was the case 4 years ago).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
While water in the electronics is not a good thing, I t is not as bad as one might first think. I would put this one back somewhere as a "questionable" item rather than totally call it junk. If you have some protection built into your setup, the water may not be that much to worry about. Many heaters do get water in them when they are used under water and it does shorten their working life but if they are run vertical as most are designed there is a spot at the bottom for the water to collect where it does no harm. This is a case where the seal around the shaft has failed and let a bit of water inside where it is left to condense and look like a lot of water. I don't buy this type any more for this reason but those which have leaked and have water in them are still good for use where they can do no harm when they finally fail. Reserve water heating is one place where I use them. From the safety aspect, they have little more hazard than one which has not leaked as long as the glass is not broken. Broken glass would let the water short to the tank water and become a hazard but as long as it is inside, the short will be between the hot and neutral of the line rather than to you. Assuming you will stop using it if it fills to the point that water inside reaches the top or if the glass is broken, there is little increase in hazard now over all the time it has been leaking.

This is an Ebo-Jager which has had water inside long enough to rust.

It still works even though there is significant water collecting at the bottom.

I don't use it any place where it can harms things when it fails to heat as it will fail sooner as the heating coils are beginning to rust.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode