The Planted Tank Forum banner

Media options for Fluval 306

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DavidZ 
#1 ·
Just wondering what everyone runs in their filters. I've heard for planted tanks you should remove the carbon. From the factory, I have the following media types:
1. Carbon (top)
2. Water polishing pad
3. BIOMAX
4. Bio-foam (bottom)

I see Purigen mentioned. Would this replace the carbon?
This will be a mostly planted tank for a while until I figure all the plant stuff out.

#3 ·
I see Purigen mentioned. Would this replace the carbon?
Yes. People remove carbon because it can remove elements in the water that plants need.

Purigen just removes dissolved organics that plants don't use. It does not remove elements such as copper and iron. I've used Purigen to remove the tea color (tannins) given off by driftwood. Generally, it makes the water look clearer.

I have a Fluval 206. Other than swapping carbon for Purigen, I use the media that came with the filter. Occasionally, when doing a water change, I will rinse the foam in old tank water to remove the solid material. I do it this way to preserve the bacteria in the foam. The chlorine in tap water can kill it.

I don't think there is any reason to replace the foam pieces until the start to disintegrate from age. Their purpose is to catch solid material (which can be rinsed out) and provide bacteria a lot of surface are to live on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.