water movement - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
water movement

Hello,i have a 42 gallon high tank with a sunsun canister filter with spraybar that works great but i think i need more water movement especially near the bottom.i have researched some sunsun wave makers but having never used one i need some help with choosing a good one.i have pressurized co2 so don't want a lot of surface tension and also not so big as to be intrusive.Any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use the Hagen Elite Mini underwater aquarium filter. For Co2 dispersion and extra water flow. Love this little product...lots of bang for the buck:-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There is actually a bit of a difference in a true wavemaker and powerheads and circulation pumps.

For circulation in your planted tank you just need more circulation throughout the whole tank. Sounds like you mentioned dead spots on the bottom, so a circulation pump will do.

As long as you have enough surface agitation to bring in enough dissolved oxygen, then you are fine. You can reposition the spray bar to provide different amounts of surface agitation if you wish.

For circulation pumps, a lot of people seem to recommend Hydor Koralia circulation pumps (they have a mini series too)

For a cheap interchangeable powerhead/circulation pump there is the Marineland MaxiJet line. Only trouble with these is that there are quite a few reports of it making a loud noise (vibration?) in circulation configuration I believe.

I don't know too much about what circulation pump is best (at least the cheap ones), but there are many options to choose from, just research. Any circulation pump should do. No idea on what size/strength either.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I use a Koralia 425 in my 75g and it works great. I would probably get the 240 for your tank. The 425 might be too much for a tank like that. My 75g is 4ft long so I need a decent amount of power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Koralia 240 as mentioned would be perfect for your tank. Just may have to play with positioning it to get the right flow. Make sure it compliments your filter outflow versus creating turbulance.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Thanks for all the ideas,i have a spray bar so would you suggest it be placed at the opposite end near the middle or bottom?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode