Help connecting my solenoid. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
So I bought a new solenoid and it sates that ot needs to be connected to a DC 12V plug.

Os it as simple as splicing in the the DC cord and wiring them together?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-24-2015 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
It's as simple as splicing the wires of a 12VDC adapter to the solenoid. Not sure if that's what you were referring to. They're on Evilbay for a few bucks, shipped. You want the ones that look like they could be phone charging plugs.

That solenoid will probably run very warm, but it should work. And you'll need a 1/4 to 1/8 NPT adapter between the solenoid and the needle valve.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
not sure what ur using those solenoids for but in my experience they are pretty crappy, i use one for my ro system and im on my 3rd in less than a year. they leak, the body seems to crack for no reason. They apparently redesigned the body due to the cracking, mine has started leaking in a few months

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

For no other reason than it's cheap and im strapped for cash after being out on LOA for six weeks.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 11:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
i mean what are u controlling with it?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I light timer.

With*

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-26-2015 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your answer is a simple yes but with some details on the 12Volt power supply. The solenoid won't care which of the two wires goes to which of the power supply wires. But to get the right power supply, you may need to do some looking or have some info that the tag doesn't show. It needs to be 12VDC. But a second item is the AMOUNT (watts, milliamps or? )of that 12volts. The solenoid needs a certain amount to operate and the power supply will have a limit to how much it can put out. So a power supply that might have been for a phone may or may not have enough power to make the solenoid work. One way is to read what power the solenoid needs and get a supply that puts out more than that OR if you don't have that, you can just stick the wires together and plug the power supply in to see if the solenoid works. No harm or danger in doing this as long as you don't leave it that way for a long time.
The problem may be that some solenoids use too much power and get too hot when we use them for 6-8 hours like we do.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well I got it up and running this morning and the solenoid has been on sice 11am and it's just slightly wam to the touch.

Might have to replace my needle valve as well as I haven't been able to adjust the bubble rate at all lately. That'll be at a later date cause I'm done fiddling with my Co2 for now.

I really have only just let the system run for the last six years with only checking to see if the tank was low or not. Guess I'll have to remember to give everything the once over ever couple of months or so.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-28-2015 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So after having fixed all of the Co2 leakes I have noticed that by 2pm all of the fish seemed really stressed and hiding in the bottom corner of the tank. So I must have been wasting more Co2 then I had originally thought....plants seem to be coming back form a mysterious stunting issue as well.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5 View Post
So after having fixed all of the Co2 leakes I have noticed that by 2pm all of the fish seemed really stressed and hiding in the bottom corner of the tank. So I must have been wasting more Co2 then I had originally thought....plants seem to be coming back form a mysterious stunting issue as well.

It's possible that's what's going on. But the usual fish behavior when CO2 levels get too high is to head for the surface. Maybe that corner has a higher O2 concentration for some reason.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

After backing off the Co2 some all fish were back to swimming around all day again. It was the olny thing that has changed that's why I knew what it was that was causing them to hide.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode