CO2 Diffusion Options in a big tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
CO2 Diffusion Options in a big tank.

Hi All,

I know, I know, enough has been said, just read the other 10 posts. My question has a slightly different twist. I travel a lot so dependability, no fiddling is a must.

My tank is 84g. Seems from all I read that a reactor would be the best way to go. There are two issues with that though. One is that the cabinet space on my 320L Osaka tank is very limited. Two is that I travel for work and am usually not home during much of the week. The kids (3 and 7) and mom aren;t going to adjust, troubleshoot issues and are certain to panic if the slightest problem occurs.

So...more important than "absolute best" is thatit be as fool proof as possible. A reliable regulator/valve is definite. Question is what diffusion method will be the simplest.

Reactors/infeed lines, etc... seem to have potential for minor fiddles from what I've read here. Can't have that.

In tank diffusers I understand aren't that eficient, but a simple line to a deive in the tank, not integrated with other systems seems simple.

Eeryting needs maintenance and attention. Trying to avoid the niggles that the household won't handle when Dad's away.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
An external inline reactor is pretty much maintenance free. I have had one on a 100gal tank for almost 5 years and it was just sitting there, reacting all day. Bubbles go into the reactor and dissolve. No airstones or bioballs or anything else which might gunk up over time.

As for room, it's basically a fat plastic pipe. Not sure how limited your space is in that respect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
I made this one with 5/8" in/outlets for my canister filter. I mounted it to the wall behind the stand. It leaked just a little for about 3 days and then some sediment filled the leak. Works better than my old glass diffuser by far.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
An external inline reactor is pretty much maintenance free. I have had one on a 100gal tank for almost 5 years and it was just sitting there, reacting all day. Bubbles go into the reactor and dissolve. No airstones or bioballs or anything else which might gunk up over time.

As for room, it's basically a fat plastic pipe. Not sure how limited your space is in that respect.

+1

also remember flow plays a HUGE roll as far as co2 diffusion and nutrient availability is concerned. so a good powerful flow (at least 10 or more tank turnovers per hour) will dramatically help your tanks overall health for a number of reasons, thus requiring less maintenance.

I have a 60 gallon discus tank with something like 25-30 turnovers per hour, the fish are healthy and strong since they have to swim more with such a flow, co2 is literally carried throughout the entire tank with ease and no gunk or fish waste settles around the tank.

flow is a thing a lot of people overlook when it comes to co2, however In my experience it makes a very big difference.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I inject CO2 with diffusers on each end of my 125 gallon. I found one injection location on a 6 footer was insufficient. However, if I had to do it over I would probably go with one reactor and one diffuser. It seems the reactor is more efficient, but I like the misting CO2 benefits so if I had one of each that would be perfect.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks 2wheelsx2 (motorcycle rider I assume?). What diffusers do you use?

Rob
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Planted Member

In my 125G I use an inline reactor being driven by one of my eheim 2028 and then I also have a mag9.5 needle wheel with CO2 injection.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use the small AquaticMagic ones from ebay. My 125 is not high light so anything thing bigger is just waste money, as my bubble rate is very low. 1.5 bps or so from each diffuser.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Build the some one spunjin has. No problems and it works great. Cheap if you build it yourself.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode