GLA Regulator vs. CO2 Art - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
GLA Regulator vs. CO2 Art

I am cutting my teeth on an Aquatek dual stage regulator, and I am finding that I want to upgrade due to slight issues with the metering valve (way way too touchy) and some fluctuating output pressures. I use GLA products (PPS Pro, bubble counter, diffuser) and so they were an obvious choice, but I have also learned about CO2 Art. The GLA units look very nice, however unless you are willing to pay $500, you get a single stage regulator. CO2 Art has a unit which is dual stage and has a precise metering valve for a fraction of that cost.

I guess what I'm looking to find out is what kind of quality is CO2 Art? I know you get what you pay for, but there is also a consideration for value. What are some of the differences between a $100 regulator and a $500 unit? What drives people to make their own regulators?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and answer my questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Algae Grower

There has been a decent amount of talk about CO2 Art recently -- you should be able to see a handful of threads on them in this section of the forum.

I built my own regulator/post body to 1) save $ 2) better understand CO2 delivery and 3) because I enjoy DIY.

I think you will find the higher the quality the less rate of defect you have, and in many cases the greater control you will gain. Ultimately its up to the individual to determine how much the increased quality is worth the increased price, and in many (most) cases the price increases much faster than the increase in quality.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
CO2art's dual stage regulators bridge the gap between the gla regulators and the Milwaukee and aquatek. In my opinion, they're the best bang for the buck at the moment. They're regular needle is the same as the other cheapies out there but the smc they offer is much better.

This is why we build our own sometimes:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=859401
Gabereal and Gabereal like this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a dieing Aqua Tec that I am replacing this evening with a Grow 1 from GLA. I will be posting my experience with it. I was not aware that Aqua Tec made 2 stage regulators.....do you mean two gauges ????
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefang View Post
GLA makes a really nice regulator. But you are definitely going to pay for it. Also worth noting on the new GLA regs, is that the solenoid/needle valve body is proprietary and you can't just replace the solenoid or NV with something off the shelf. They are both integrated into an aluminum block manifold that is joined together with two hex bolts and an o-ring.
I have no first hand experience with the CO2art, but I'd take oldpunk's opinion to the bank, as he's built many regs and knows what's up.
I think that is one of GLA's main selling point, the fact that you won't need to replace any of the components. If it's NPT ports they're using (highly likely) then it's actually easier to replace their nv/solenoid than other regulators set.

My asian brand door-stop Co2 system doesn't use NPT. It's not common in their market and they don't expect people to replace each parts. All they need to change is the CGA fitting to match NA's cylinders.

Just food for thought, I'm purely a custom Co2 fan but from what I can tell, GLA's regulator follows the "high purity" bar stock type of regulators. Harder to make, better material. A lot of their regulator features are found in common HP regulators.

Search High Purity vs General Purpose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:05 AM
I v(^o^)v shrimp

PTrader: (32/100%)
I think you should buy GLA regulator , because they have 2-3 years of warranty. If you have any issue ,then you can easy to shipping it back to them. For Co2 Art , it is more difficult to shipping back to them, and their company is not in USA.

\
\
\
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:49 AM
Planted Member

Here is my new GLA Grow 1 regulator !Just installed it tonight ! So far I am very pleased ! Much better made than my old Aqua Tec !

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytruong87 View Post
I think you should buy GLA regulator , because they have 2-3 years of warranty. If you have any issue ,then you can easy to shipping it back to them. For Co2 Art , it is more difficult to shipping back to them, and their company is not in USA.
The fact that GLA is made in the USA was one of the reasons I bought mine !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	co2 unit !.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	490681  

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:06 AM
Planted Member

Well I knew nothing about CO2 just a couple months ago, here I am today with a system I put together myself with the help of this forum as well as the Barr report.
I wanted swagelok fittings, everything stainless steel except the reg, 400$ including the tank and the 60$ swagelok check valve that's not pictured .
You can build one for much cheaper, not to mention it's gonna last a lifetime.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1435212352388.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	490689  

Name:	image_1435212380269.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	490697  

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:21 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted_Edge View Post
Well I knew nothing about CO2 just a couple months ago, here I am today with a system I put together myself with the help of this forum as well as the Barr report.
I wanted swagelok fittings, everything stainless steel except the reg, 400$ including the tank and the 60$ swagelok check valve that's not pictured .
You can build one for much cheaper, not to mention it's gonna last a lifetime.
That's very nice ,however I don't really have the time or the desire to build my own at this point. I'm sure there are many other people out there that feel the same way. It's very nice to have company like GLA around that offers nice units ready made, backed by a warranty.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I just got my co2art dual stage setup last night. I have it on my 85g with a cerges reactor and a 15lb tank.

I love how small it is. The finish looks great and was extremely well packaged. I got it in only 6 days and I picked the cheapest shipping option (5-15days).

This is my first co2 system and I have no problems setting it up. I still need to dial it in over the next few days but it holds a solid working pressure and the needle valve (SMC) is awesome. You can get a really low working pressure too. For the price I don't think there is a better unit you can buy.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
I just got my co2art dual stage setup last night. I have it on my 85g with a cerges reactor and a 15lb tank.

I love how small it is. The finish looks great and was extremely well packaged. I got it in only 6 days and I picked the cheapest shipping option (5-15days).

This is my first co2 system and I have no problems setting it up. I still need to dial it in over the next few days but it holds a solid working pressure and the needle valve (SMC) is awesome. You can get a really low working pressure too. For the price I don't think there is a better unit you can buy.
Can you adjust your working pressure ? If so what pressure do you leave yours on ? I have mine set at 35....but may try a lower pressure. I am using a Cerges reactor as well.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:42 PM
I v(^o^)v shrimp

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajeff View Post
Here is my new GLA Grow 1 regulator !Just installed it tonight ! So far I am very pleased ! Much better made than my old Aqua Tec !

Bump:

The fact that GLA is made in the USA was one of the reasons I bought mine !
I will say that you paid what you get. Aqua tek is cheaper than other company, it works few months, and their costumer service is very bad.

\
\
\
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytruong87 View Post
I will say that you paid what you get. Aqua tek is cheaper than other company, it works few months, and their costumer service is very bad.
I ran my Aqua Tec for 2 years; I figure I got my moneys worth. It still functions aside from the Solenoid giving out. The biggest downside to it was the needle valve.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajeff View Post
Can you adjust your working pressure ? If so what pressure do you leave yours on ? I have mine set at 35....but may try a lower pressure. I am using a Cerges reactor as well.
I have it around 18-19psi on my working side. But I literally just set it up, so I am not sure how long that will remain. I am slowly raising my co2 to ensure safety for my pets.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
GLA regulators are over priced. You can get a nice dual stage built by someone on the forums here for the same price. The warranty is nice, but you're paying for it.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode