The Planted Tank Forum banner

GLA Regulator vs. CO2 Art

21K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  JohnCO2Art 
#1 ·
I am cutting my teeth on an Aquatek dual stage regulator, and I am finding that I want to upgrade due to slight issues with the metering valve (way way too touchy) and some fluctuating output pressures. I use GLA products (PPS Pro, bubble counter, diffuser) and so they were an obvious choice, but I have also learned about CO2 Art. The GLA units look very nice, however unless you are willing to pay $500, you get a single stage regulator. CO2 Art has a unit which is dual stage and has a precise metering valve for a fraction of that cost.

I guess what I'm looking to find out is what kind of quality is CO2 Art? I know you get what you pay for, but there is also a consideration for value. What are some of the differences between a $100 regulator and a $500 unit? What drives people to make their own regulators?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and answer my questions!

#2 ·
There has been a decent amount of talk about CO2 Art recently -- you should be able to see a handful of threads on them in this section of the forum.

I built my own regulator/post body to 1) save $ 2) better understand CO2 delivery and 3) because I enjoy DIY.

I think you will find the higher the quality the less rate of defect you have, and in many cases the greater control you will gain. Ultimately its up to the individual to determine how much the increased quality is worth the increased price, and in many (most) cases the price increases much faster than the increase in quality.

#3 ·
CO2art's dual stage regulators bridge the gap between the gla regulators and the Milwaukee and aquatek. In my opinion, they're the best bang for the buck at the moment. They're regular needle is the same as the other cheapies out there but the smc they offer is much better.

This is why we build our own sometimes:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=859401

#5 ·
GLA makes a really nice regulator. But you are definitely going to pay for it. Also worth noting on the new GLA regs, is that the solenoid/needle valve body is proprietary and you can't just replace the solenoid or NV with something off the shelf. They are both integrated into an aluminum block manifold that is joined together with two hex bolts and an o-ring.
I have no first hand experience with the CO2art, but I'd take oldpunk's opinion to the bank, as he's built many regs and knows what's up.
I think that is one of GLA's main selling point, the fact that you won't need to replace any of the components. If it's NPT ports they're using (highly likely) then it's actually easier to replace their nv/solenoid than other regulators set.

My asian brand door-stop Co2 system doesn't use NPT. It's not common in their market and they don't expect people to replace each parts. All they need to change is the CGA fitting to match NA's cylinders.

Just food for thought, I'm purely a custom Co2 fan but from what I can tell, GLA's regulator follows the "high purity" bar stock type of regulators. Harder to make, better material. A lot of their regulator features are found in common HP regulators.

Search High Purity vs General Purpose.

#8 ·
Well I knew nothing about CO2 just a couple months ago, here I am today with a system I put together myself with the help of this forum as well as the Barr report.
I wanted swagelok fittings, everything stainless steel except the reg, 400$ including the tank and the 60$ swagelok check valve that's not pictured .
You can build one for much cheaper, not to mention it's gonna last a lifetime.

Attachments

#9 ·
Well I knew nothing about CO2 just a couple months ago, here I am today with a system I put together myself with the help of this forum as well as the Barr report.
I wanted swagelok fittings, everything stainless steel except the reg, 400$ including the tank and the 60$ swagelok check valve that's not pictured .
You can build one for much cheaper, not to mention it's gonna last a lifetime.
That's very nice ,however I don't really have the time or the desire to build my own at this point. I'm sure there are many other people out there that feel the same way. It's very nice to have company like GLA around that offers nice units ready made, backed by a warranty.

#10 ·
I just got my co2art dual stage setup last night. I have it on my 85g with a cerges reactor and a 15lb tank.

I love how small it is. The finish looks great and was extremely well packaged. I got it in only 6 days and I picked the cheapest shipping option (5-15days).

This is my first co2 system and I have no problems setting it up. I still need to dial it in over the next few days but it holds a solid working pressure and the needle valve (SMC) is awesome. You can get a really low working pressure too. For the price I don't think there is a better unit you can buy.

#11 ·
I just got my co2art dual stage setup last night. I have it on my 85g with a cerges reactor and a 15lb tank.

I love how small it is. The finish looks great and was extremely well packaged. I got it in only 6 days and I picked the cheapest shipping option (5-15days).

This is my first co2 system and I have no problems setting it up. I still need to dial it in over the next few days but it holds a solid working pressure and the needle valve (SMC) is awesome. You can get a really low working pressure too. For the price I don't think there is a better unit you can buy.
Can you adjust your working pressure ? If so what pressure do you leave yours on ? I have mine set at 35....but may try a lower pressure. I am using a Cerges reactor as well.

#16 ·
The problem I have with that is I have no idea what I am really getting if I buy from someone on the forum. From what I can tell most people who build regulators are buying used regulator bodies then fitting them with new fittings, needle valves etc. Also many of the ones I see that I might want are selling for prices that are equal to or more than what I paid for a brand new one from Green leaf. Frankly I could care less about about a dual stage reg. I have had planted tanks for years now and the whole end of tank dump is waaaay over rated; if that's your main reason for buying a dual stage you're wasting your money.

I get that some people like to build nice fancy regulators as almost a hobby in itself and that's great but at this point I am not interested in doing that. A regulator for a planted tank is simply a tool for me;for instance a solid stainless steal unit....yes thats pretty cool .....but I would set it up inside my cabinet and close the door....you don't even see it ! If you are into that fine ! Good for you ! Have fun with it !

#19 ·
As I have said before ! I am not interested in building a regulator ! There are plenty of people who feel the same way otherwise places like Green Leaf would not be in business ! I have better things to do with my free time than scrounging together parts for a regulator! It may make more sense to you but it doesn't for me.....to each his own !

#18 ·
I'm by no means an expert on regulators but here's my experience so far with the two I have.

My Milwaukee single stage regulator running on a PH controller has been flawless since day one and functioned without issue.

My CO2 Art dual stage regulator also running on a PH controller came with a banged up gauge from shipping and had a leak. Killed a 10lb tank within a month. I contacted CO2 Art who promptly offered to send me a gauge. I had no interest in taking apart a regulator so they agreed to send me a new regulator to replace the damaged one which I am still waiting for.

In my experience neither does anything any better then the other given the way I'm putting them to use. Controller turns them on and back off end of process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I don't usually do this, & understand the comparison is about the 2 named units, but here goes .
Ijust saw 2 -2 stage units built by a fellow hobbyist here @ a price of 280.00, folks in my opinion these units will in every which way will as- smack the 2 named units discussed here & don`t even mention customer service - Alan is one of a kind.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8033826#post8033826
There , I had to say it :hihi:

#22 ·
I don't usually do this, & understand the comparison is about the 2 named units, but here goes .
Ijust saw 2 -2 stage units built by a fellow hobbyist here @ a price of 280.00, folks in my opinion these units will in every which way will as- smack the 2 named units discussed here & don`t even mention customer service - Alan is one of a kind.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8033826#post8033826
There , I had to say it :hihi:
That's lovely; unfortunately Alan doesn't always regulators for sale. I am sure his units are awesome ! I have seen some in past post that I would have loved to own.

There, had to say it :hihi:

#28 ·
In response to the original question ... For someone like me that doesn't know how to or has the time and patience to build a regulator, and wants something of quality that is going to last me a long time and even after a few years I can sell it at a decent price and wants service if something breaks, etc.. I will say GLA is the way to go. I am on my third system and obviously I am very happy with the product. When I needed service an email to Orlando was more than enough to get a quick answer. So based on my criteria GLA is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
I just got a CO2Art regulator, there are a couple threads out there started by me on them. I think it's a good regulator except the needle valve. It could be that I got a bad one. But it is not consistent at all, and can be too fast or too slow when you turn it on - it somehow drifts from its settings very easily. I ended up getting a Milwaukee pH controller for peace of mind and so now I don't worry about the needle valve being exact, the controller will cut off CO2 if the pH drops too far.

CO2Art customer service was spoken of very highly in the past. That has not been the experience I've gotten. It's been a rather bizarre experience and they have not really gotten back. I received an email from them a week or so ago that where they asked for shipping info and said there might be something wrong with the needle valve I got and they would send another, but I have not heard from them since. There is something strange going on like maybe the company is in some kind of transition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.