2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
GLA regulators are over priced. You can get a nice dual stage built by someone on the forums here for the same price. The warranty is nice, but you're paying for it.
The problem I have with that is I have no idea what I am really getting if I buy from someone on the forum. From what I can tell most people who build regulators are buying used regulator bodies then fitting them with new fittings, needle valves etc. Also many of the ones I see that I might want are selling for prices that are equal to or more than what I paid for a brand new one from Green leaf. Frankly I could care less about about a dual stage reg. I have had planted tanks for years now and the whole end of tank dump is waaaay over rated; if that's your main reason for buying a dual stage you're wasting your money.

I get that some people like to build nice fancy regulators as almost a hobby in itself and that's great but at this point I am not interested in doing that. A regulator for a planted tank is simply a tool for me;for instance a solid stainless steal unit....yes thats pretty cool .....but I would set it up inside my cabinet and close the door....you don't even see it ! If you are into that fine ! Good for you ! Have fun with it !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Planted Member

^take it easy
My brand spankin' new 2 stage reg cost 80$
Where do you find a brand new single stage for less?

Building your own makes more sense than buying online especially when you have all the info on what and where to buy right here on this forum.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm by no means an expert on regulators but here's my experience so far with the two I have.

My Milwaukee single stage regulator running on a PH controller has been flawless since day one and functioned without issue.

My CO2 Art dual stage regulator also running on a PH controller came with a banged up gauge from shipping and had a leak. Killed a 10lb tank within a month. I contacted CO2 Art who promptly offered to send me a gauge. I had no interest in taking apart a regulator so they agreed to send me a new regulator to replace the damaged one which I am still waiting for.

In my experience neither does anything any better then the other given the way I'm putting them to use. Controller turns them on and back off end of process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted_Edge View Post
^take it easy
My brand spankin' new 2 stage reg cost 80$
Where do you find a brand new single stage for less?

Building your own makes more sense than buying online especially when you have all the info on what and where to buy right here on this forum.
As I have said before ! I am not interested in building a regulator ! There are plenty of people who feel the same way otherwise places like Green Leaf would not be in business ! I have better things to do with my free time than scrounging together parts for a regulator! It may make more sense to you but it doesn't for me.....to each his own !
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajeff View Post
The problem I have with that is I have no idea what I am really getting if I buy from someone on the forum. From what I can tell most people who build regulators are buying used regulator bodies then fitting them with new fittings, needle valves etc. Also many of the ones I see that I might want are selling for prices that are equal to or more than what I paid for a brand new one from Green leaf. Frankly I could care less about about a dual stage reg. I have had planted tanks for years now and the whole end of tank dump is waaaay over rated; if that's your main reason for buying a dual stage you're wasting your money.

I get that some people like to build nice fancy regulators as almost a hobby in itself and that's great but at this point I am not interested in doing that. A regulator for a planted tank is simply a tool for me;for instance a solid stainless steal unit....yes thats pretty cool .....but I would set it up inside my cabinet and close the door....you don't even see it ! If you are into that fine ! Good for you ! Have fun with it !
I disagree that you "don't know what you'll be getting" if you buy from someone on the sales forum. People like AlanLe have a lot of experience building regulators. Yes, GLA is probably the "most" secure, given the warranty and their status as a commercial builder. But the parts also won't be as good quality, either.

I agree with you that EOTD shouldn't be a problem with a good SS, but it can be with Milwaukee/Aquatek and other ~$100 regulators. And SS parts are over rated. Slightly better quality and looks nicer, but a lot more expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't usually do this, & understand the comparison is about the 2 named units, but here goes .
Ijust saw 2 -2 stage units built by a fellow hobbyist here @ a price of 280.00, folks in my opinion these units will in every which way will as- smack the 2 named units discussed here & don`t even mention customer service - Alan is one of a kind.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...26#post8033826
There , I had to say it

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.
Do it then talk, nah do it nah talk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
I don't usually do this, & understand the comparison is about the 2 named units, but here goes .
Ijust saw 2 -2 stage units built by a fellow hobbyist here @ a price of 280.00, folks in my opinion these units will in every which way will as- smack the 2 named units discussed here & don`t even mention customer service - Alan is one of a kind.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...26#post8033826
There , I had to say it
That's lovely; unfortunately Alan doesn't always regulators for sale. I am sure his units are awesome ! I have seen some in past post that I would have loved to own.

There, had to say it
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
That's lovely; unfortunately Alan doesn't always regulators for sale. I am sure his units are awesome ! I have seen some in past post that I would have loved to own.

There, had to say it
Have to say this
Even GLA don`t always have units in stock , even months at a time

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 09:04 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Have to say this
Even GLA don`t always have units in stock , even months at a time
Got mine in a week ....
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Got mine in a week ....
Check with the folks who have been waiting for months for a model to be restock

Bump:
Quote:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=809130&highlight=gla+regulator+st ock
And that is their bread & Butter , so Alan is allowed the odd time, since his bread & butter is not regulators

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:25 PM
Planted Member

Quote:

Bump:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...egulator+stock
And that is their bread & Butter , so Alan is allowed the odd time, since his bread & butter is not regulators
Ya know dude ....whatever.....I have the regulator I wanted and it is working fine for me. The service I have received so far was great as well; I emailed them before I ordered and they told me they would have it built in 3-5 days and in the mail...I had it in a week ! What are you trying to prove ? Luckily we have more than one source for regulators.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wink

Quote:
Ya know dude ....whatever.....I have the regulator I wanted and it is working fine for me. The service I have received so far was great as well; I emailed them before I ordered and they told me they would have it built in 3-5 days and in the mail...I had it in a week ! What are you trying to prove ? Luckily we have more than one source for regulators.
Not trying to prove anything☺
Just offering my unsolicited opinion & having fun doing so with you ��

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
In response to the original question ... For someone like me that doesn't know how to or has the time and patience to build a regulator, and wants something of quality that is going to last me a long time and even after a few years I can sell it at a decent price and wants service if something breaks, etc.. I will say GLA is the way to go. I am on my third system and obviously I am very happy with the product. When I needed service an email to Orlando was more than enough to get a quick answer. So based on my criteria GLA is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 08:41 PM

wow, replied to the wrong thread.

Last edited by tanktech; 10-12-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: dyslexic mistake
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just got a CO2Art regulator, there are a couple threads out there started by me on them. I think it's a good regulator except the needle valve. It could be that I got a bad one. But it is not consistent at all, and can be too fast or too slow when you turn it on - it somehow drifts from its settings very easily. I ended up getting a Milwaukee pH controller for peace of mind and so now I don't worry about the needle valve being exact, the controller will cut off CO2 if the pH drops too far.

CO2Art customer service was spoken of very highly in the past. That has not been the experience I've gotten. It's been a rather bizarre experience and they have not really gotten back. I received an email from them a week or so ago that where they asked for shipping info and said there might be something wrong with the needle valve I got and they would send another, but I have not heard from them since. There is something strange going on like maybe the company is in some kind of transition.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode