CFL lighting raising temps - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
CFL lighting raising temps

I currently have 4x 23w CFL lights in 10.5" dome shop lights over my 75g. It looks great, it works, it is cheap, and it is hidden by my hood.

Here are the lights inside:

And here is the hood closed:

I'm sure I'm not the first person to run into something like this. My water is about 76* F at night and rises to nearly 80* F during the day. I have a small gap between the whole stand and the wall, about 1-2". I was thinking of an exhaust fan or two to come on with the lights (I have a 6 socket power strip that runs the 4 lights on a timer). That way I can keep it around 76-77* F during the day.

Anyone have some suggestions for fans? I was going to mount them on the inside of the top panel. I'm not sure about spacing. The top panel is 48" long by 22" deep. The lights are fairly centered (just eye balling it). I don't really care about it being silent since the tank has a sump and is next to the TV anyway. Just looking for some quality fans (2 probably) to mount to the top to keep it cool OR an alternative to keep the temps down.

I am nearly certain it is the lights causing the temp change since my temp goes down at night when they are off but the rest of the equipment is running. Also, the house temp stays the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I would do a fan on each end, one blowing in and one blowing out. Put it on the same timer as your lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
The fans work better to cool the water if they blow on the water. Of course you will have more evaporation to make up for.

My T5HO linear tubes will heat up my tank to over 80F if I don't have a fan blowing on the water. I lose about 32oz a day of tank water.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
I would do a fan on each end, one blowing in and one blowing out. Put it on the same timer as your lights.
Do you think that would work better than on top of the stand? I was thinking it would at least look better with them on top. But if it would function better, I would be willing to place them on the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigXor View Post
The fans work better to cool the water if they blow on the water. Of course you will have more evaporation to make up for.

My T5HO linear tubes will heat up my tank to over 80F if I don't have a fan blowing on the water. I lose about 32oz a day of tank water.
I was hoping to dissipate the heat from around the lights so it doesn't build up and heat the tank. I will see if an open front on the canopy keeps the water cool. If so, I think I could just cool the area around them. If it is actually the light piecing the water and heating it, I will look into a fan on the water in the sump.

32oz a day is a bit, but not bad really. That is only a 1/4 of a gallon. So by my weekly water change, that would only be a couple gallons out of my 125g system.

My current plan is 2 fans on the top of the canopy (or sides if research deems it better for cooler) and 1 in the sump area directly on the water.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 06:10 PM
kep
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Marine Depot was just have a sale on chillers and fans. I got one for my nano because I was experiencing the same problem. The one I gpt from Zoo Med just hangs on the side of the tank and blows on the water but can be adjusted to blow straight up to the lights.

I like your idea of adding fans to canopy first to dissipate the heat before it gets to the tank.

|
|

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'll find out today, by leaving the canopy open, if it is as simple as pulling the heat out of the canopy before it sits there and bakes the tank.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I use one of these to cool my home theater AV cabinet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8I474/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and this is what it plugs into:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGG6SC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
super easy to setup, and that power supply can run 4 of them simultaneously.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I see heater in the tank.
Can you not lower the temp a click or two on the heater? this way the tank may drop to 74 -75 degree's F during the night, and maybe reach 78 degree's during the day not withstanding the warm climate.
Maybe less clutter on the tank and less electricity.
If water does not drop below 74 degree's without a heater at all during the evening,I think the majority of fishes would be fine and perhap's no heater at all would be needed except for colder month's ?

OOPS! after looking some more at the photo of the tank, I realize what I thought was heater is spraybar.(blowin the leaves on the other end)

Last edited by roadmaster; 05-19-2015 at 02:15 PM. Reason: correction
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Get a Delta fan but be warned of the noise! Cools my Radeon 7950 video cards by 10-15C~!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835213001
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovenmit331 View Post
I use one of these to cool my home theater AV cabinet:

Amazon.com: Cooler Master Sleeve Bearing 120mm Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators (Value 4-Pack): Electronics

and this is what it plugs into:

Amazon.com: Coolerguys 100-240v AC to 12 & 5v DC 4pin Molex 2A Power Adapter: Electronics

super easy to setup, and that power supply can run 4 of them simultaneously.
Thanks! I use the same thing in my AV cabinet actually. I have a 7.2 surround sound system and a computer running for 12+ hours a day and 2 fans keeps the cabinet from overheating. I may go this route on the fish tank also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I see heater in the tank.
Can you not lower the temp a click or two on the heater? this way the tank may drop to 74 -75 degree's F during the night, and maybe reach 78 degree's during the day not withstanding the warm climate.
Maybe less clutter on the tank and less electricity.
If water does not drop below 74 degree's without a heater at all during the evening,I think the majority of fishes would be fine and perhap's no heater at all would be needed except for colder month's ?
The heater is in the sump, not the tank. So you shouldn't see it in those photos. I have a large spray bar on the right though.

My heater is set at 76* and only comes on at night. Are you suggesting to lower it at night so that the temperature flux during the day doesn't get as hot? I haven't seen the tank go over 80* during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
Get a Delta fan but be warned of the noise! Cools my Radeon 7950 video cards by 10-15C~!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835213001
The issue I think I am running into, in my head, is the ambient temperature vs the temperature of the tank. I want the tank to run right at room temperature, 76-77*. Cooling fans for electronics bring it down from much higher initial temperatures than my tank. I suspect I'll have to set it up so that the air blows across the water to cause more evaporation to cool the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode