Timer suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Timer suggestions

I have few too many tanks and my schedule varies everyday so I'm getting some timer for Co2 and lighting. Never had experience with timers so I assume they all work the same. Would 'Woods 50006 timer' do? Since they're the cheapest around and I need several.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Should be fine - the mechanical timers are the easiest to set up, but will lose time with any disruption to power....
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

From doing a quick search online, the Woods 50006 seems to be a two prong timer. Ideally you'll want a three prong since most components like lighting and solenoids use three.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7g cube, 12g long

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
From doing a quick search online, the Woods 50006 seems to be a two prong timer. Ideally you'll want a three prong since most components like lighting and solenoids use three.
Won't it work with a 3 prong adapter?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

woods 50001 is a three prong unit.
Either will work, but I wouldn't want an adapter added into the wiring mess I have.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Woods-5000...50001/21683001

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

It'll function but whatever you plug into it will not be grounded. Cheater plugs are not safe. Read the first two paragraphs of this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

7g cube, 12g long
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use the woods heavy duty 3 prong. I wouldn't use an adapter in this situation, water being involved..
http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/2353607...434711&veh=sem
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My current setup uses a few cheater plugs. Had no problem, even outdoor. I remember the electrician told me that my whole house is grounded from the main power circuit but I could be wrong. Guess I'll go with Woods 50001
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 01:12 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
Ideally you'll want a three prong since most components like lighting and solenoids use three.
I believe most of the lights and solenoids I have looked at use two. . Maybe I am mistaken. My fugeray light is two and so are my eheim cans and me jager heater.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

I use these http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-timer-95207.html incredibly cheap, keep time through power failures and have had no problems in over a year, plus they do 10 on off cycles down to a minute between pulses so you could get creative

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Intermatic TN311 . Grounded and rated for 15 amps . Got 2 of these controlling the lights for my fishroom . They're old school mechanical timers that seem to run forever . Only thing is that if you plug one of these into a power strip it'll occupy the space for 2 outlets .

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-TN311-Heavy-Grounded-Timer/dp/B005MMSTNG
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
I use these http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-timer-95207.html incredibly cheap, keep time through power failures and have had no problems in over a year, plus they do 10 on off cycles down to a minute between pulses so you could get creative
This seems good but I got a question. It looks like there are two output plugs one on each side. Does that mean I can set two separate timer on one of these? If so, $10 is quite a good deal
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 03:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaka View Post
This seems good but I got a question. It looks like there are two output plugs one on each side. Does that mean I can set two separate timer on one of these? If so, $10 is quite a good deal
Alas no, one timer controls both outlets together, but if youre like me and running 2 fixtures its handy, or I use the other empty plug to run the light on my qt tank when I need to set ip up

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaka View Post
My current setup uses a few cheater plugs. Had no problem, even outdoor. I remember the electrician told me that my whole house is grounded from the main power circuit but I could be wrong. Guess I'll go with Woods 50001
In a residential setting the ground isn't very important if the circuit is not a GFCI circuit. If the device is on a GFCI and is not grounded, it will never trip the GFCI, which isn't safe and defeats the purpose of a GFCI.

If there isn't a GFCI, the 3rd ground lug is redundant. If you ever look inside your main electrical panel, the "neutral" (white) wire and "ground" (green) wire are both grounded to the same grounding strip. I'm not saying the green ground wire doesn't serve a purpose, but its really just a backup ground to the neutral wire.

Your house isn't grounded because that's not required in residential electrical code, and 99.9% of houses aren't made of metal, and thus can't be grounded.

In a commercial setting all of this changes. The buildings are typically metal, are grounded, and all electrical pathways are grounded as well, with the neutral wire not always being grounded, and the ground wire always grounding to the metal building structure.

TL;DR.... if something in your house isn't plugged into a GFCI circuit, the 3rd ground wire is not very important.

DIY Enthusiast

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I got one similar at Walmart but it's made by Brinks. Super easy and flexible. Mine is 3 prong and has 2 outlets.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode