best co2 regulator who makes it?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
best co2 regulator who makes it??

looking to buy a co2 regulator. I've been told the needle valve is what makes or breaks a great regulator. Can someone recommend a good trouble free regulator with the right needle valve. which ones do I stay away from? Best place to purchase??

Thanks, john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Contact AlanLe he sells some nice custom regulators at a fair price.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'd highly recommend green leaf aquariums. I use the atomic V3 regulator and it works perfect.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Retail: GLA

Probably the most knowledgable company selling aquarium Co2 kits. Their dual stage set up is top of the line, nothing beats it beside customs co2 kits.

Custom: Alan Le

If there was a custom Co2 Olympic, Alan will bring home the Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Stay away from: Foreign brands, Cheap set up, Knock offs.

Anything else beside Co2 equipment, I wouldn't have a problem owning. For something simple like a LED fixtures, they just give you the adapter from 220V to our 120V etc. But for Co2 regulators.... there a lot more to consider.

Such as -
Different cylinder connection,
Different washer (some without),
Solenoid needs to be in the right AC rating,
Different threads on the parts (repair? forget about it) JIS vs NPT vs BSPP

What you going to do for warranty? Ship it back?

I rather go with Aquatek or Milwaukee before I go foreign brand again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've run a Dupla reg Armature Pro for a couple years, no complaints. needle valve is fine if used in conjunction with working pressure.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

The needle valve is key, but many parts of the regulator will “make or break” a good regulator. You can’t go wrong with GLA as your first regulator. I’m happy with mine, but since buying my first from GLA, I’ve built my own dual stage, purchased foreign and domestic. And my favorites are the ones I build myself. If I were to purchase again, I’d be temped to try co2 art’s dual stage for a reasonable price, or the compact atomic v3 version by GLA.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

7g cube, 12g long
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
victor regulator and ideal (vernier) needle valves. imo.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The best regulator I have purchased to date is the Aquariumplants.com electronic regulator. All you do is set the bps dial and that's it. No solenoid nor needle valve to worry about. I bought mine back in 08' and its still ticking without missing a beat. Impossible to get a end of tank dump.

With that said, I am now custom building my own regulators as well for other setups for the experience of diy-ing a co2 rig. I got a dual stage VTS253A, VTS253B( I messed it up so its for spare parts now) and a Air Products E12-244D. I am putting together a system that is similar to GLA's Pro-5-SS for half the price. I am sure it will be just as functional. I control all the parts that go into the build which is the best part of building your own rig.

The stay would probably be the systems that are under 90 bucks unless that's all you can afford. It is an entry level setup and it will work okay for the most part. The problem is the needle valve can't maintain the proper pressure as the co2 runs out. The result is the needle valve allows the remainder of the contents in the tank to dump. You must keep and eye on the psi of the co2 tank. Once it drops to 400-500 psi, pull the tank and get a refill. I forgot this one particular time and the dump happened to me. That is when I bought the AP regulator. You can also upgrade the needle valve on low quality setups to a higher quality one a probably be okay. But if you do that, you might as well just invest in a better quality setup.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

Last edited by flight50; 01-13-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: -
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Planted Member

I'll echo others sentiments about GLA equipment. I've had a couple of their regulators and they're top notch. Their customer service and support is great, too.

David

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm happy with my regulator from Alan!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:56 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
The best regulator I have purchased to date is the Aquariumplants.com electronic regulator. All you do is set the bps dial and that's it. No solenoid nor needle valve to worry about. I bought mine back in 08' and its still ticking without missing a beat. Impossible to get a end of tank dump.
The black box on that electronic regulator is essentially the solenoid and the needle valve.

There was a thread from many years ago where someone took it apart for investigation.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had AlanLe build one for me and he was awesome to do business with. I love the regulator he built for me and it was very reasonable.

Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon - CO2 injected
5 gallon tall cube - CO2 injected

Wish I had an entire room dedicated just for more tanks!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The black box on that electronic regulator is essentially the solenoid and the needle valve.

There was a thread from many years ago where someone took it apart for investigation.
Yeah, I know. The black box is used in lieu of separate components and it replaces them both with one physical device. This leaves the user to only having to set the bubble rate. The average user will never have to go inside the box unless they are just curious as to what's inside. I have yet needed to do any type of maintenance or adjust the bubble rate due to fluctuations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	regulator 004.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	416074  

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'll also throw my vote in for AlanLe building you something. He knows what he's doing and is very knowledgeable about good/bad products out there, his prices are extremely fair, and he was very patient with me when I asked him a million question.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:59 PM
bk.
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarrot View Post
I'll also throw my vote in for AlanLe building you something. He knows what he's doing and is very knowledgeable about good/bad products out there, his prices are extremely fair, and he was very patient with me when I asked him a million question.
+1 This was my exact same experience with Mr. Le. Great guy; very knowledgable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode