Help with my DIY system - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Okay I cut out all valves and drop checkers but I stil cant seem to generate any pressure in the system.

At this point its just two bottles hooked up at a T and run right in to the tank. No bubbles, no pressure. Ive blown back into the system to see if there are any leaks but I cant seem to find any....

Did I not activate the yeast!?!?

Next I'm going to switch two a couple 2 liter bottles or just scrap the whole thing and go conventional if I can find a setup for the right price.
Are there any affordablle options out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (125/100%)
It is fairly easy to kill the yeast in my experience. Using too hot water to make the initial mix or activate it. Needs to be luke warm at best (I believe 105 degrees is max, personally I just barely get it warm.) Also I made the mistake once of taking the yeast straight from the fridge and making it up. The temp change was too sudden. Now I just store it in a cabinet.

Not sure what you mean by blowing back through the system to check for leaks. Soapy water is the way to go. Apply it to all the connections, if you see bubbles, there's a leak. However, if you just have the open line going into the tank, there may never be enough pressure to show a leak - but there should still be bubbles coming out from the line.

I would connect the diffuser you have, or use a 1" piece of chopstick, or a piece of regular cotton ball tightly packed in the line. Then wait 8-12 hours to allow for pressure to build, and check for leaks with soapy water.

For a 10 gallon, I'd just go with one 2L bottle + a smaller gas separator/bubble counter bottle. Keep an eye on how many bubbles per second it produces, and change it out as soon as you see it slow down. Probably 7-10 days, possibly 2 weeks.

Or you can get a paintball set-up for probably around $150

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use a glass diffuser with a diy single bottle setup. Here's the trick. If using a fresh made mix, It takes 30 minutes to 2 hours to start making bubbles that show up on a ladder. Now if you use a glass diffuser you won't see any bubbles until 12-24 hours after hooking the diffuser up. Even if your co2 bottle has been running for a week. Takes a good day to build up enough pressure to push it out. But yes, it will do it.

My diy bottle isn't even 2 liters...

Bump: $20 for 20oz tank $3.99 to fill it at dicks sporting goods
$30 for regulator $88 if you want one with a solenoid
$0-10 for diffuser

So $50-60 if you don't mind running it all night long. Add another $5-10 for a small air pump if that's the case.

I just bought a co2 setup. My stuff came in today so the prices are fresh in my head.

One of my tanks is diy
One of my tanks is injected.

Tags
clogged, co2, diffuser, diy, diy co2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode