will this Co2 regulator work for a planted aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
will this Co2 regulator work for a planted aquarium?

Hello I just got this Co2 regulator VICTOR MODEL# VTS253A off ebay for $29 shipped, not bad IMO but before i purchase a seperate needle vale for it does anyone know if this regulator will be okay for aquarium use? given that i replace the needle valve

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't see anything that tells me that it would not work, though there isn't much info.

I would assume as long as you have a good quality needle valve you should be good to go.

Thanks,
AndrewH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I wouldn't be worried about it one bit. Victor is a very reputable name in welding equipment and they can be rebuilt in needed. That is a great deal on that regulator!!

FPC#127

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Let us know how it works out for you, that is a great deal!

|
|
|
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
jazzlvr123,

I have a Victor VTS253A running on my set-up and it works great. However, my regulator looks nothing like that. My regulator is made entirely out of brass not chrome. It is also two-stage, not single stage like the one advertised on ebay. In fact all of the Victor regulators in the VTS 250 series are two stage.

The first link shows a picture of what a Victor VTS 250 series regulator should look like and has information about the VTS series. The second link has specific info about the VTS253A regulator (notice the price).

http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads...14_65-2007.pdf

http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...&WT.svl=376947

I hate to say it, but I'm doubtful that what you bought is a genuine Victor regulator. That doesn't mean it won't work though.

DaveT
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

WOW I just got this sucker in the mail. this is the nicest most solidly built regulator I have ever owned I can't believe it was only $29. This sucker is nice solid bulky and looks like it could last for 100 years. and it IS a VICTOR
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 08:12 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Dude, how can it be a victor if i does not look like it is supposed to and is 600 bucks off. I dont doubt you might have got a good regulator, but theres no way theys a real victor VTS253A
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 08:35 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Two thoughts here ...

1) The P/N at the end lists 1993 ... could this be old stock or obsolete Victor gear from years back (may explain why so cheap)

2) Does Victor have any "sub" grades or entry level brand names that this could be from ... like a starter kit that might have had a different name, by was made by Victor?

I've never seen a chrome Victor either ... made in Chine clone?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 08:39 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ahhh ... I knew this looked familiar ... I bet you it's a MEDICAL grade Victor regulator ... as they are all chrome.

BUT why would it be for CO2 if it was?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Co2 is used in the medical field too, to speed up respiration.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlvr123 View Post
WOW I just got this sucker in the mail. this is the nicest most solidly built regulator I have ever owned I can't believe it was only $29. This sucker is nice solid bulky and looks like it could last for 100 years. and it IS a VICTOR
I'm glad you are happy with your purchase and I hope it works out for you. But as far as it being a genuine Victor regulator...I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCOOK View Post
Two thoughts here ...

1) The P/N at the end lists 1993 ... could this be old stock or obsolete Victor gear from years back (may explain why so cheap)

2) Does Victor have any "sub" grades or entry level brand names that this could be from ... like a starter kit that might have had a different name, by was made by Victor?

I've never seen a chrome Victor either ... made in Chine clone?
1) If you do a google search of this model number "VTS253A 1993" the only hits that come up are the ebay listing and a post about the regulator in question on another planted tank board.

2)Not that I'm aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCOOK View Post
Ahhh ... I knew this looked familiar ... I bet you it's a MEDICAL grade Victor regulator ... as they are all chrome.

BUT why would it be for CO2 if it was?
This is the only adjustable Victor Medical regulator that I could find that can be used with CO2. Its a different model number (not VTS) and clearly looks different from the one listed on ebay.
http://www.victormedical.com.br/midia/pdf/f04_p15.pdf
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it is a victor, its logo is etched into the actual regulator, I can take a picture of the logo if you don't believe me, it is super solidly built, way better than the Milwaukee and jbj model's I have on other tanks. sorry that its that hard for you guys to believe that its a victor but I'm staring at the logo right now and am convinced it is.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 AM

As one who wasted his formative years patching british steel, I can assure you that there are thousands of serviceable Victor regulators out there for $10-$ 30 at swap meets, liquidations and now on ebay. And, in fact, the VTS 250b series can be found for 300 new. I think all the a series are discontinued.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 PM

all the regulators shown here on links all look very similar. they are just brass or chrome.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 02:30 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlvr123 View Post
it is a victor, its logo is etched into the actual regulator, I can take a picture of the logo if you don't believe me, it is super solidly built, way better than the Milwaukee and jbj model's I have on other tanks. sorry that its that hard for you guys to believe that its a victor but I'm staring at the logo right now and am convinced it is.
and someone else cant etch a logo?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode